In early 2010, Maus opened beta pictoris Gallery / Maus Contemporary dedicated to supporting contemporary creativity across the visual arts in photography, painting, sculpture and works on paper as well as mixed media, with a strong emphasis on issue-driven artwork and committed to experimentation and risk-taking. Through representing emerging, established, and internationally recognized artists, the gallery is committed to bringing a global perspective to contemporary issues and practices across the visual arts. The program consists of exhibitions, print publications, and media outreach.
The gallery represents the artists Jelili Atiku, John Bankston, Jarrod Beck, Steven Bindernagel, Willie Cole, Clayton Colvin, Derek Gracco, Ben Dowell, John Fields, Mark Flood, Peter Fox (artist), Irene Grau, Deborah Karpman, Barbara and Michael Leisgen, Jacques Lizène, Sharon Louden, Odili Donald Odita, Sonja Rieger, Bayeté Ross Smith, Leslie Smith III, Susana Solano, Travis Somerville, Susanna Starr, Taravat Talepasand, Melissa Vandenberg, and the Estate of Eugene J. Martin.
beta pictoris gallery is a member of ICI, Independent Curators International (ICI), New York, a supporting member of The Birmingham Museum of Art, and its Collectors Circle for Contemporary Art, as well as its Sankofa Society, a support group for African and African-American Art. beta pictoris gallery is also a supporting member of the Museum of Contemporary Art Denver in Denver, Colorado and the Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art in Boulder, Colorado.
Gallery exhibits curated by Maus in beta pictoris gallery / Maus Contemporary have been reviewed in many art magazines and art blogs including Artforum, ARTslant, Square Cylinder Northern California Art, and Hyperallergic, among others.
Notes and references
- Odili Donald Odita - Beta Pictoris Gallery/Maus Contemporary, March 15 -April 19, in April 2013 Artforum issue, critic's pic, by Cinqué Hicks
- Where I'm From...beta pictoris gallery at ArtPadSF by Kara Q. Smith
- SF Art Fair Report - ArtPadSF by David M. Roth
- http://hyperallergic.com/51829/artpadsf-2012 Sex, Drugs and Rock ‘n’ Roll at a San Francisco Art Fair, by Abe Ahn, May 2012
- beta pictoris Gallery / Maus Contemporary Home Page Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- 3rd ArtPad iteration represents more than typical fare by Scott Jennings, June 2013 Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- Emotionally charged exhibits on display at Beta Pictoris by Walter Lewellyn, January 2013 Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- Everyone in the ArtPad, Artnet Magazine, May 2012 Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- Art of the Urbane, Bhamarchitect's Blog, May 2010 Retrieved 2013-07-20.