Guillermo Diaz (basketball)
|No. 1 – Capitanes de Arecibo|
March 4, 1985 |
San Juan, Puerto Rico
|Listed height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Listed weight||185 lb (84 kg)|
|High school||Miami Christian (Miami, Florida)|
|College||Miami (Florida) (2003–2006)|
|NBA draft||2006 / Round: 2 / Pick: 52nd overall|
|Selected by the Los Angeles Clippers|
|Pro playing career||2006–present|
|2006–2007||ČEZ Basketball Nymburk|
|2008||Los Angeles Clippers|
|2010||Capitanes de Arecibo|
|2010–2011||Victoria Libertas Pesaro|
|2011||Capitanes de Arecibo|
|2011–2012||BC Armia Tbilsi|
|2012–present||Capitanes de Arecibo|
|Career highlights and awards|
Guillermo Diaz (born March 4, 1985) is a Puerto Rican professional basketball player. Diaz was drafted by the Los Angeles Clippers of the NBA in 2006, becoming the fifth Puerto Rican ever drafted by the NBA and the eighth to play there. Diaz has also played professionally in Europe and in Puerto Rico.
University of Miami
Diaz had a stellar college career at the University of Miami, where he earned All-American status. At the University of Miami, he finished 10th on the school's all-time scoring list with 1,477 points, including 174 three-point field goals. He garnered All-Big East Team Freshman First Team honors in 2003-04 and led Miami in scoring as both a sophomore and a junior. He was named to the All-ACC Team in both his sophomore and junior years.
Los Angeles Clippers
Diaz declared his eligibility for the NBA draft following his junior year and was selected by the Los Angeles Clippers, with the 52nd overall selection in the 2006 NBA Draft. During the summers of 2006 and 2007, Diaz participated with the team in the NBA Summer Pro League.
On August 16, 2007, Diaz signed a non-guaranteed contract with the Los Angeles Clippers to 3 years $2 million, according to HOOPSHYPE.com. On October 25, Diaz was released at the conclusion of preseason, signing a free agent contract with the Anaheim Arsenal of the NBDL. Through January 8, 2008, Diaz averaged 16.6 points per game in 14 games, with 7 starts.
On January 8, 2008, Diaz was signed to a 10-day contract with the Clippers, in which he debuted against the Phoenix Suns playing 5 minutes and registering 1 rebound. On January 18, the Clippers extended his contract for an additional 10 days. Through 6 games played in the NBA, Diaz scored 5 points, grabbed 2 rebounds, and dished 1 assist in 18 minutes played. The contract was terminated on January 28, when the team decided not to offer a guaranteed contract for the remainder of the season.
NBA Summer League 2008
For the 2006-2007 season he played for ČEZ Basketball Nymburk in the Czech basketball league. On January 7, 2007, El Nuevo Dia reported that Diaz would not return for the second half of the season, as stated by mentor Arturo Alvarez, as Diaz wasn't able to adapt to the different lifestyle that he experienced in the Czech Republic. By the time that Diaz decided to leave the Czech league, he was the second leading scorer in the whole league with an average of 20.1 points per game and had led Nymburk to a 15-1 season start.
In February 2008, he signed for Pepsi Caserta, a team in the LegADue also known as Serie A2, second division of Italian professional basketball. He helped them win the championship in the 2008 season. For winning they were promoted to Serie A in the 2008-2009 season.
Controversy with National Superior Basketball
After his departing from the Czech league Diaz announced that he was interested in including his name to the list of players in the BSN draft. He was involved in a movement that was trying to convince the team owners of the league to avoid the implementation of a salary cap to first-year players.
However, the team owners decided to put a cap on salary of twenty five thousand dollars which led Diaz to remove his name from the list of players. This led former owner Miguel Mercado to create a movement inciting first-year players to withdraw their names from the draft; the controversy reached a conclusion when Mercado and the league reached an agreement. Diaz announced that he was going to skip participation on any league, continuing his participation in the Clippers summer league team.
- NBA: 6 games, 5 points (0.8 PPG), 1 assist (0.2), 2 rebounds (0.3), .250 field goal percentage and .600 free-throw percentage
- NBA Development League: 14 games, 232 points (16.6 PPG), 42 assists (3.0), 51 rebounds (3.6), 8 steals (0.6), .487 field goal percentage, .857 free-throw and .313 3-point.
- NCAA: 93 games, 1477 points (15.9 PPG), 238 assists (2.6), 313 rebounds (3.4), 123 steals (1.3), .448 field goal percentage, .740 free-throw, and .380 3-point.
- ČEZ Basketball Nymburk: 15 games, 301 points (20.1 PPG), 49 assists (3.3), .620 field goal percentage, .897 free-throw and .411 3-point.
- Diaz signs non-guaranteed contract with LA Clippers
- Clippers sign Diaz to 10-day contract
- Lester Jiménez (2008-01-29). "A un paso de vestir los colores de Carolina". Primera Hora. Retrieved 2008-01-30.
- "Bobcats Announce NBA Summer Camp Invitees". Charlotte Bobcats. 2008-07-07. Retrieved 2008-07-11.
- "Diaz no jugara en Puerto Rico" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2 April 2007. Retrieved 16 May 2007.
- Career statistics and player information from NBA.com
- The Miami Herald's report on Diaz
- Diaz's stats in the Czech Basketball League
- El Nuevo Dia report about Diaz's controversy with the Puerto Rican Superior league (Spanish)
- NBAdraft.net profile