Guillermo Owen was born May 4, 1938, in Bogotá, Colombia, and obtained a B.S. degree from Fordham University in 1958, and a Ph.D. degree from Princeton University under the guidance of Dr. Harold Kuhn, in 1962.
Owen has taught at Fordham University (1961–1969), Rice University (1969–1977) and Los Andes University in Colombia (1978–1982, 2008), apart from having given lectures in many universities in Europe and Latin America. He is currently holding the position of Distinguished Professor of Applied Mathematics at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California.
Owen is member of the Colombian Academy of Sciences, The Royal Academy of Arts and Sciences of Barcelona, and the Third World Academy of Sciences. He is associate editor of the International Journal of Game Theory.
The Escuela Naval Almirante Padilla of Cartagena (Colombia) gave him an honorary degree of Naval Science Professional in June 2004.
Owen was named Honorary President of the XIV Latin Ibero American Congress on Operations Research - CLAIO 2008. Cartagena, Colombia, September 2008.
Owen has authored, translated and/or edited thirteen books, and approximately one hundred papers published in journals such as Management Science, Operations Research, International Journal of Game Theory, American political Science Review, and Mathematical Programming, among others. Books, a selection:
- 1968. Game theory. Academic Press
- 1970. Finite mathematics and calculus; mathematics for the social and management sciences. With M. Evans Munroe.
- 1983. Information pooling and group decision making : proceedings of the Second University of California, Irvine, Conference on Political Economy. Edited with Bernard Grofman.
- 1999. Discrete mathematics and game theory.
- 2001. Power indices and coalition formation. Edited with Manfred J. Holler.
- Professor Owen has been considered one of the founding fathers of Game Theory in the special issue of the scientific journal Theory and Decision (Vol. 56, No. 1-2, February 2004).
- Also in 2004, the series Theory and Decision Library C: Game Theory, Mathematical Programming and Operations Research published the book Essays in Cooperative Games (Gianfranco Gambarelli (Ed.) ,Vol. 36, Springer-Verlag) in honor of Dr. Owen.
- Full list of publications. Retrieved 2 July 2008.
- Biography. Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California.