Cover of Guitar World (May 2007)
|Categories||Music magazine (guitar focus)|
|Publisher||Harris Publications (1980–2003)
Future US, Inc. (2003–2012)
NewBay Media (2012–present)
|First issue||July 1980|
|Website||Guitar World website|
Guitar World is a monthly music magazine devoted to guitarists, published since July 1980. It contains original interviews, album and gear reviews, and guitar and bass tablature of approximately five songs each month. The magazine is published 13 times per year (12 monthly issues and a holiday issue). Formerly owned by Harris Publications, Future US bought the magazine in 2003. In 2012, NewBay Media bought the Music division of Future US. The latter company also published a spin-off title, Guitar Legends, each issue of which typically combined past articles from Guitar World under a specific theme.
In the January 2005 issue, Guitar World began selling some issues of the magazine with CD-ROMs containing video lessons, gear demonstrations and other self-produced and third-party content. Magazines that contain the disc sell for $7.99 USD rather than the standard issue price of $4.99. Each issue originally came with a centerfold poster of an artist or group featured in the magazine for that month, however, these are no longer included. In 2007 Guitar World started to produce a new DVD magazine Guitar World presents...Guitar DVD.
As of the January 2009 issue, Guitar World is including columns from its defunct sister magazines Guitar One and Guitar World Acoustic. Some of the columnists include:
- Shred Alert by Paul Gilbert
- The Alchemical Guitarist by Richard Lloyd
- Time to Burn by Michael Angelo Batio
- Practice What You Preach by Eric Peterson
- Left-Hand Path by Ihsahn
- All That Jazz by Vic Juris
- Talkin' Blues by Keith Wyatt
- Hole Notes by Dale Turner (songwriter)
- Dominion by Mark Morton of Lamb of God
- Charles R. Cross: features writer
- Alan Paul: managing editor (1991–1996), online editor (1996–2003), senior writer (1996–present)
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Alliance for Audited Media. December 31, 2012. Retrieved July 4, 2013.
- NewBay Media Buys Music Mags from Future US
- Guitar World website
- 100 Greatest Guitar Solos (as ranked by readers of Guitar World)
- Guitar World Interviews Past and Present
|This music magazine or journal-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.