Guitar on the Go
|Guitar on the Go|
|Studio album by Wes Montgomery|
|Recorded||1959–1963 at Plaza Sound Studios, New York City|
|Wes Montgomery chronology|
Guitar on the Go is the eleventh album by American jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery, released in 1963. It included tracks recorded in October and November 1963 as well as two from early 1959 sessions. It was Montgomery's last principal release for Riverside and he subsequently moved to the Verve label.
Guitar on the Go has been reissued on CD by Original Jazz Classics with an additional take of "The Way You Look Tonight" as well as a bonus track "Unidentified Solo Guitar". It was also released on the Fantasy label with the original track listing and the bonus track "Mi Cosa".
Jazz critic Scott Yanow called the release "a worthy if not essential addition to Wes Montgomery's discography" and, due to his later change of style to a more pop-oriented approach, "the end of an era."
- "The Way You Look Tonight" [Alternate take] (Jerome Kern, Dorothy Fields) – 5:48
- "The Way You Look Tonight" (Kern, Fields) – 9:08
- "Dreamsville" (Ray Evans, Jay Livingston, Henry Mancini) – 3:48
- "Geno" (Wes Montgomery) – 2:53
- "Missile Blues" (Montgomery) – 5:57
- "For All We Know" (J. Fred Coots, Sam M. Lewis) – 4:29
- "Fried Pies" (Montgomery) – 6:41
- "Unidentified Solo Guitar" (Montgomery) – 3:37
- Wes Montgomery – guitar
- Melvin Rhyne – organ
- George Brown – drums
- Jimmy Cobb – drums
- Paul Parker – drums
- Orrin Keepnews – producer