Seal of Gujarat University
|Motto||योगः कर्मसु कौशलम्|
|Motto in English||Diligence leads to Excellence|
|Established||23 November 1949|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. M.N. Patel|
|Registrar(In charge)||Dr. Arvind V. Bhandari|
|Academic staff||205 (PG Departments) (2004-2005)|
|Location||Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India|
Gujarat University is a state university situated at Ahmedabad, Gujarat state, India. It is an affiliating university at the under-graduate level and a teaching one at the postgraduate level. It is accredited B++ by NAAC.
- 1 History
- 2 Organization
- 3 Campus and jurisdiction
- 4 Departments
- 5 Faculties
- 6 Courses
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Many leaders like Mahatma Gandhi, Sardar Patel, Anandshankar Dhruv, Bharat Chavda, Pujan Shah Roll no: 24 and Amritlal Hargovinddas recommended formation of the university in the 1920s. It was established after the independence of India. Gujarat University was evolved out of Ahmedabad Education Society, a major educational organization of Gujarat. 
Gujarat University was formed under the Gujarat University Act of the State Government in 1949 as a teaching and affiliating university. It was established under the recommendation of a committee headed by Ganesh Vasudev Mavalankar for rearrangement of university education in Bombay state. It is the largest university in Gujarat.
It is an affiliating university at the under-graduate level and a teaching one at the post-graduate level. More than 200000 students study at university in the courses and faculties. It caters for external as well as enrolled students. Affiliates include 373 colleges, 35 approved institutions and 20 recognised institutions (as of 2009-2010).
Organization is based on the Gujarat University Act, 1949.
Following are the authorities of the university:
- Court (Senate): chief authority
- Executive Council: governs activities at university.
- Academic Council: maintains and prescribes standards of instructions, education and examinations
- Board of University Teaching and Research
- Board of Studies
- Board of Extra-Mural Studies
- Board of Student Welfare
- Board for Hostel’s Management
- Academic Planning Board
The university functions in a democratic way by Senate which is elected every year by faculties and students. Teachers of the colleges, departments and schools are represented in on the Academic and Executive Councils.
Office bearers of the university are:
- Vice-Chancellor : head of university.
- Ex-Vice Chancellors of the University residing in the State
- Pro-Vice Chancellor
- Registrar : administrating head of the university
- University Librarian
- Director of Schools
- Heads of the Departments
The teaching and non-teaching staff are represented by their unions.
Campus and jurisdiction
The campus is spread over 260 acres (1.1 km2). It is in Navarangpura, Ahmedabad. Affiliated colleges and institutes are spread across Ahmedabad city, Ahmedabad district, Kheda district (excluding the limits of Vallabh Vidyanagar in Anand Taluka and the area with a radius of 5 miles (8.0 km) from the office of Sardar Patel University).
The departments are as follows:
- School of Commerce
- School of Law
- School of Languages
- Department of English
- Department of Gujarati
- Department of Hindi
- Department of Linguistics
- Department of Urdu and Persian
- Department of Pali, Prakrit & Apabhransha
- Department of Sanskrit
- School of Philosophy Education and Psychology
- Department of Education
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Psychology
- School of Sciences
- Department of climate change studies
- Department of Botany
- Applied Botany Centre(ABC) - Bioinformatics Centre and Climate Change and Impacts Management
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Environmental Science
- Department of Forensic Science
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Life Science
- Department of Geography
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Physics, Space science and Electronics
- Department of Microbiology and Biotechnology
- Department of Zoology and Biomedical Technology
- School of Social Sciences
- Department of Economics
- Department of History
- Department of Labour Welfare
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Journalism
- Department of Library and Information Science
- Department of Physical Education
- Department of Yogic Science
- Department of Study Abroad Program
- B. K. School of Business Management
- K. S. School of Business Management
- Centre for Development Communication
- H.K. Professional Centre
- Upasana School of Performing Arts
- A D Shodhan I A S Training Centre
- Department of Defence Studies
- Department of Home Science
- Gujarat University Administrative Office
- Rollwala Computer Centre
- Gujarat University Workshop
- Department of Publication
- Gujarat University Guest House
Student Welfare Departments
- Gujarat University Library
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Reading Centre
- Gujarat University Health Centre
- Women’s Development Cell
- James Reaney Canadian Study Centre
- Gujarat University Employment Bureau
- Department of Youth Welfare
- Gujarat University Boys Hostel
- Gujarat University Girls Hostel
- Sports Complex
- Internet Access Centre
- Dr B R Ambedkar Chair
- Gujarat University Central Consumer Co-operative Stores Ltd
- Jan Shikshan Sansthan
- Open Air Theatre
- NRS Hall
- Gujarat University Convention and Exhibition Hall
- Academic Staff College
- Department of Adult and Continuing Education and Extension works
- Department of Educational Multimedia Research Centre
- Information and Library Network Centre (INFLIBNET)
- Nursing & Physiotherapy
- Physical Education
- Business Management
- Computer Application
Gujarat University offers Doctor of Philosophy and Doctor of Medicine courses at doctoral level.
It is a teaching university at a postgraduate level. It offers postgraduate courses at their teaching departments and affiliated institutes:
It is an affiliation university at an undergraduate level. It offers undergraduate courses at teaching departments and affiliated colleges:
It offers undergraduate courses at teaching departments and affiliated colleges:
Following undergraduate courses at offered at teaching departments and affiliated colleges of university:
Study abroad programmes
- Mallika Sarabhai, Kuchipudi and Bharatanatyam Dancer
- Ashis Nandy, Political psychologist and social theorist
- Deepak Pandya, Neuroanatomist
- Narendra Modi, Chief Minister of Gujarat
- Pankaj Patel, CEO Cadila – LMCP
- Geet Sethi, Billiard, BKS
- Haren Pandya, ex-Home Minister, LDCE
- Gautam Adani, Chairman, Adani Group
- Harin Pathak, MP from Ahmedabad East
- "An Overview". Gujarat University. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "Brief History". Gujarat University Official Website. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- Gandhinagar: Building National Identity in Postcolonial India. 2004. p. 53.
- Ahmedabad, 1958 by Kapilray M. Mehta - Page 233
- Gupta, Ameeta; Kumar, Ashish (2006). Handbook of Universities. Atlantic Publishers & Dist. pp. 291–296. ISBN 9788126906079.
- "AFFILIATED COLLEGES & RECOGNISED INSTITUTIONS". Gujarat University. 2009–2010. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "Organization of Gujarat University". Gujarat University. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- Ahmed, Syed Khalique (31 March 2012). "GU launches first campus FM radio station in state, fifth in country". The Indian Express. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "Doctorate Courses". Gujarat University. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "Post Graduate Courses". Gujarat University. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "Bachelor Courses". Gujarat University. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "Diploma Courses". Gujarat University. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "Certificate courses". Gujarat University. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "STUDY ABROAD PROGRAMME". Gujarat University. Retrieved 9 January 2013.