January 3, 1979 |
|Other names||Gul Panag-Attari|
|Occupation||Actress, Voice actress, Model|
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
|Spouse(s)||Rishi Attari (March 13, 2011-)|
Gul Panag (born 3 January 1979 ; Chandigarh, India) is an Indian actress, voice actress, model, and former beauty queen who competed in the Miss Universe pageant. Her notable films include Dor, Dhoop, Manorama Six Feet Under, Hello, and Straight.
Panag started her education in Sangrur, in Punjab. Her father was in the army and the family moved to different places across India and abroad. As a result of this, she studied in 14 different schools including Kendriya Vidyalayas (Chandigarh, Mhow, Leh and Wellington, Tamil Nadu), The Lawrence School, Lovedale and the International School of Lusaka, Zambia. She did her Bachelors in Mathematics from Punjabi University, Patiala, and Masters in Political Science from Panjab University, Chandigarh. As a student, Panag was interested in sports and public speaking. She won numerous state and national level debate competitions, including two gold medals at the Annual National Inter University Debate competition.
Panag won the Miss India title in 1999, and was crowned Miss Beautiful Smile at the same pageant.[unreliable source?] She participated in the Miss Universe 1999 pageant. Panag began her career in Bollywood, with the 2003 film Dhoop. Since then, she has worked in films like Jurm and the TV series Kashmeer. She played a commoner, fighting hard to save her husband from going to the gallows, in the 2006 Nagesh Kukunoor film, Dor. In 2008, she acted in the films Hello and Summer 2007. In 2009, she appeared in the movie Straight. She featured in Rann in a role attempting to stop her boy friend from doing the right thing. Panag appeared on the front page of Maxim with whom she did a photo shoot in September 2008. She is debuting in Punjabi movies with 'Sarsa Movie'.
She has appeared in numerous advertisements on television and print media and is the brand ambassador for Tata Sky, along with Aamir Khan.
Panag was the Twitter Face for the Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week held in 2009, to cover the happenings/proceedings on the micro-blogging site.
Panag got married to her long-time boyfriend Rishi Attari on March 13, 2011 in a gurudwara in Chandigarh in a traditional Punjabi Sikh ceremony. Since Panag is a lover of motorbikes, her marriage procession consisted of riders on over 20 motorcycles. Some of the bike riders were women. Bride Rishi arrived on a motorcycle, with Gul sitting in the sidecar.
She ran at the Delhi Half Marathon in November 2010, but endured eve teasing (sexual harassment) from male runners at the event. She later remarked that the attitude of men in Delhi needed to change and that the city was unsafe for women.
- Stardust Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role (2009) for Hello
- Screen Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role (2007) for Dor
|2003||Dhoop||Peehu A. Verma|
|2006||Dor||Zeenat Fatima/Zeenat A. Khan|
|2007||Manorama Six Feet Under||Nimmi|
|2009||Anubhav||Meera Hemant Valecha / Meera A. Malhotra|
|2010||Hello Darling||Mansi Joshi|
|2011||Turning 30||Naina Singh|
|Kashmeer (TV series)||Zoya||Star Plus|
|Kismey Kitnaa Hai Dam||Presenter||Star Plus|
|Musafir Hoon Yaaron||Presenter||Star Plus|
|Vijay Jyoti||Jyoti||Zee TV|
- "About Gul". Gul Panag – Official website. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
- "Gul Panag Biography". Yahoo! Movies. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- Ronjita Kulkarni. "Why Gul Panag doesn't want to be a star overnight". Rediff. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- "Femina Miss India 1999". Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- "'Kashmeer' - Guns and Roses". Indiantelevision. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- "Gul Panag's sexy makeover!". Rediff. Retrieved 2008-11-04.
- "Gul Panag amazing Maxim photoshoot". Maxim India. September 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-04.
- "Gul Panag's debut Punjabi movie Sarsa". Retrieved 2012-08-27.
- "Gul: Twitter face for WIFW". Times of India. 2009-10-22. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- "Gul Panag opts for Band, Baaja, Bullet". Indian Express. Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- Mid-Day.com (11 March 2011). "Gul Panag To Marry Her Boyfriend". NDTV Movies. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "Gul Panag ties the knot, baraat vrooms on Enfield bikes". March 15, 2013. Fundoofun.com. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- Sharma, Kalpana (2010-11-27). Unsafe for women?. The Hindu. Retrieved on 2010-11-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gul Panag.|
|Awards and achievements|
|Femina Miss India