Gulf and Fraser Fishermen's Credit Union
|Headquarters||Burnaby, British Columbia|
|Key people||Jeff Shewfelt - Co-CEO
William Kiss - Co-CEO
|Revenue||$46.8 million CAD (2011) |
|Net income||$4.5 million CAD (2011) |
|Total assets||$1.05 billion CAD (2011) |
|Subsidiaries||Gulf and Fraser Insurance Services Ltd.|
Gulf and Fraser Fishermen's Credit Union operating as G&F Financial Group is a member-owned financial institution in Burnaby, British Columbia and the tenth largest credit union in British Columbia. With a history dating back to 1936, G&F Financial Group provides banking and a variety of financial services including borrowing, investments and financial planning.
G&F Financial Group's history extends back to one of the first credit unions in BC—Common Good Co-Operative Association located in South Burnaby in 1936. Since that time, the credit union has gone through a number of mergers and name changes—the most significant occurring in 2004 when United Savings Credit Union, formerly known as Civic Employee's Credit Union, United Services Credit Union, Burnaby Savings Credit Union, Pioneer Credit Union and Allied Savings Credit Union, merged with G&F Financial Group. The combined entity has 12 branches located in Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, Surrey, Port Coquitlam, and Richmond.
The current head office is located in the Edmonds area of Burnaby.
The following is a (incomplete) list of previous credit unions that form part of G&F Financial Group's history (either through name changes, mergers, or buyouts):
- North Arm Fisherman's Credit Union
- Lower Fraser Fishermen's Credit Union
- Common Good Co-Operative Association
- Pioneer Credit Union
- C.E.F.U. #28 Credit Union
- Civic Employees Credit Union
- United Services Credit Union
- Mount Pleasant Credit Union
- Burnaby Savings Credit Union
- Allied Savings Credit Union
- United Savings Credit Union
- Burlington Northern Credit Union
- Sheet Metal Workers Credit Union
- Elco Credit Union (BC Hydro Employees)
As with most member-driven credit unions, G&F Financial Group has a long history of involvement in the communities that they serve. Over $930,000.00 was returned to members and the communities that G&F Financial Group serves in the year 2005 in the form of dividends, patronage rebates, and charitable donations.
In addition to financial donations, G&F Financial Group encourages staff involvement within the communities that they operate. On November 2, 2011 the South Burnaby Branch of G&F Financial Group was the winner of the Burnaby Board of Trade's Business Excellence Community Spirit Award. The award recognizes local organizations for demonstrating outstanding corporate social responsibility and for the strong support of local non-profit organizations and agencies.
On October 5, 2011, G&F Financial Group presented SOS Children's Village of British Columbia with a contribution cheque for $45,100.00 as proceeds from its Charity Golf Tournament and Raffle. The credit union had been in a 3 year partnership with the charity, raising over $89,000 for SOS BC since 2009.
- Popular Grammy-nominated singer, Michael Bublé is the son of one of G&F Financial Group's Directors.
- One of the first credit unions chartered in British Columbia through a previous merger with Pioneer Credit Union (charter number 003).
- G&F Financial Group 2008 Annual Report
- Credit Unions of BC
- http://www.burnabynow.com/issues05/112105/news/112105nn1.html A Night for Burnaby's Best, Burnaby Now, Nov 5, 2005
- Reaching for a billion dollars, Burnaby Now, Feb 13, 2005
- Vote Caps Local Credit Union Merger, Columbia Journal, March 2004
- G&F Financial Group Home