|rose petal jam|
|Place of origin:|
|Region or state:|
|mainly after having meals,owing to its nature of firing the digestion|
|can be made with either jaggery(traditional uncentrifuged cane sugar)|
|Recipes at Wikibooks:|
|Media at Wikimedia Commons:|
Gulkand, or Gulqand (Urdu: گلقند, Hindi: गुलक़न्द), is a sweet preserve of rose petals from Pakistan and North India. Gul means flower in both Persian and Urdu whereas qand means sweet in Arabic.In Turkish it is Gül Reçeli and in Hindi it is plant.
Damask rose petals and sugar are placed in layers in a wide-mouthed airtight glass jar. The jar is exposed to sunlight for 6 hours per day for around 3 to 4 weeks. On alternate days, the contents of the jar are stirred with a wooden stick. When the process is complete, the gulkand is kept indoors in a tightly sealed container.
Benefits and uses
 Gulqand is an Ayurvedic tonic. The National Institute of Ayurvedic Medicine provides a list of the benefits obtained from eating gulkand. This includes reduction of pitta and heat in the body, a reduction in eye inflammation and redness, strengthening of the teeth and gums, and the treatment of acidity.Gulkand has cooling properties, thus it is beneficial in alleviating all heat related problems like tiredness, lethargy, itching, aches and pains. It also helps in reducing burning sensations in the soles and palms.
• Gulkand is a powerful antioxidant and a very good rejuvenator.
• Consuming 1 – 2 teaspoons of gulkand helps to reduce acidity and stomach heat. It also helps in treating ulcers and prevents swelling in the intestine.
• Gulkand helps to treat mouth ulcers, strengthens teeth and gums.
• It can be used to treat dysmenorrhoea and is effective in relieving menstrual pain. It is also helpful in treating excessive white discharge problem.
• A very good digestive tonic – helps to improve appetite, improves digestion and corrects digestive problems.
• Gulkand helps to remove toxins from the body and purifies blood. Thus, it helps in giving a clear complexion and prevents the occurrence of various skin problems like acne, boils, whiteheads etc.
• Helps to reduce excessive perspiration and foul body odour.
• Having two teaspoons of gulkand before venturing outdoors, can help to prevent sunstroke and controls nostril-bleeding.
• It is good for all those individuals who have water retention problem, as it helps in increasing your urine output.
• It has a calming effect on the nervous system, thus helps in reducing stress.
- Gulkand: Nature's Coolant, published on the website of the National Institute of Ayurvedic Medicine. Retrieved February 2, 2008.