|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Gummidipoondi lies on the National Highway 5 from Chennai to Calcutta. This road is part of the Golden Quadrilateral which is a project launched by the Central Government. It is having an Industrial park (SIPCOT and SIDCO). Gummidipoondi prides itself on housing two important factories, Dupont Fibers and Hitech Carbon (an Aditya Birla Group company), also known as Birla Carbon. Subsequently, DuPont Fibres has been taken over by SRF Limited. SRF stands for Shriram Fibres Limited and is the 8th largest producer of nylon tyre cord fabric in the world. In SIPCOT it has more than 50 steel plants, rolling mills. Steel plants play a main role in this area. Bharath Petroleum and Hindustan Petroleum has placed a LPG filling station in SIPCOT near New Gummidipoondi. It is surrounded by pristine, fertile villages with abundant fresh water access.
In SIPCOT, 230/110 KV transmission Substation of TNEB is situated and one of modern substation Tamil Nadu. On the way to SIPCOT, Tamil Nadu Petrochemicals Limited (TNPL) which also provides 60MW power to 110KV grid of Gummidipoondi substation, as captive power plant. Also Hitech carbon also contributes 6MW of power as captive power plant.having many colleges surround it like t.j.s engineering college,r.m.k engineering college, R.M.D. engineering college, Durga Devi Polytechnique and a number of renowned higher secondary schools. Gummidipoondi will serve as a hub for medical tourism in near future since Dr. Cherian Frontier Life line is setting up a "frontier medical village" (a multispeciality and multi medicine systems organization) in the nearby village Elavur. The Major occupation of the populations are agriculture and fishing, now a days rapidly replaced by the nearby industrial jobs. Institute of Road Transport (Driver Training Wing) is located here.
Gummidipoondi is also a hub for printers and publishers, one among them is the well renowned COLLEGE STUDENT XEROX ,RAJA PRINTERS NSK Offset Printers and some of others are Sukan Xerox, Kumaran Xerox, Karuna Printers, Murali Printers, Lakshmi printers, Iyappa Printers, JK Printers.
As of 2001[update] India census, Gummidipoondi had a population of 16,116. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Gummidipoondi has an average literacy rate of 70%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 77%, and female literacy is 63%. In Gummidipoondi, 13% of the population is under 6 years of age. The major communities are Vanniyar and Mudaliyar. The only language spoken in Gummidipoondi is Tamil
- Chennai - 50 km (Road)
- Kavaraipettai - 07 km (Road)
- Kanyakumari - 806 km (Railway)
- Gudalur (via Connoor)- 700 km (Road)
- Rameshwaram - 721 km (Railway)
- Madurai - 530 km
- Coimbatore - 544 km
- Ponneri - 11 km
- Sricity - 5 km
- Rajapalayam - 660 km
- Tanjore - 350 km
- BILLAKUPPAM - 6 KM
- Kammar palayam -5km
- Mannargudi - 353km
- Rakkampalayam - 6km
- Kumbakonam - 325 km
- Tada Falls - 20 km
- sanaputtur - 18km
- Gummidipoondi is well connected by Railways and Roadways.
- The SubUrban Trains from sullurpet, Chennai Central and Chennai Beach connects GummidiPoondi.
- Passengers trains also connect nellore, vijayawada, vizag cities.
- The MTC Buses to Gummidipoondi plies from Chennai Broadway,kallur,madharpakkam,Rakkam Palayam, Thiruvallur, Vallalar Nagar and RedHills.
- Bus connects the cities like arrakonam, kanchipuram, chennai, ponneri, thiruvallur in tamilnadu and nellore, thirupathi,
shri kalashthri, vijayawada, vizag and udhayagiri in andhra pradesh.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
|This article related to a location in Tiruvallur district, Tamil Nadu, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|