|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Gummidipoondi lies on the National Highway 5 from Chennai to Calcutta. This road is part of the Golden Quadrilateral which is a project launched by the Central Government. It is having an Industrial park (SIPCOT and SIDCO). Gummidipoondi prides itself on housing two important factories, Dupont Fibers and Hitech Carbon (an Aditya Birla Group company), also known as Birla Carbon. Subsequently, DuPont Fibres has been taken over by SRF Limited. SRF stands for Shriram Fibres Limited and is the 8th largest producer of nylon tyre cord fabric in the world. In SIPCOT it has more than 50 steel plants ( kamatchi steel plant, one of the biggest companies ), rolling mills. Steel plants play a main role in this area. Bharath Petroleum and Hindustan Petroleum has placed a LPG filling station in SIPCOT near New Gummidipoondi. It is surrounded by pristine, fertile villages with abundant fresh water access.
In SIPCOT, 230/110 KV transmission Substation of TNEB is situated and one of modern substation Tamil Nadu. On the way to SIPCOT, Tamil Nadu Petrochemicals Limited (TNPL) which also provides 60MW power to 110KV grid of Gummidipoondi substation, as captive power plant. Also Hitech carbon also contributes 6MW of power as captive power plant.having many colleges surround it like , R.M.K Engineering college, R.M.D. engineering college, T.J.S Engineering college,Sri Jayaram Institute of Engineering and Technology, R.V.S Padmavathy Engineering college, Durga Devi Polytechnique and a number of renowned higher secondary schools. Gummidipoondi will serve as a hub for medical tourism in near future since Dr. Cherian Frontier Life line is setting up a "frontier medical village" (a multispeciality and multi medicine systems organization) in the nearby village Gumpli. The Major occupation of the populations are agriculture and fishing, nowadays rapidly replaced by the nearby industrial jobs. Institute of Road Transport (Driver Training Wing) is located here. TAMIL NADU launched first water plant for AMMA KUDINEER project in gummidipoondi IRT wing, For whole Tamil Nadu amma kudineer water bottle was supplied from here only. Gummidipoondi Having own RTO registration office taluk office BDO office. Many places and areas has been improved, and that are kottaikarai, periyar nagar, thabal theru, munuswamy nagar, swamy reddy kandigai, prithvi nagar, balakrishnapuram, m.p.c street, milagaichedykulam, sipcot, east circle, west circle, saranya nagar, paddikuppam, thervazhi.
As of 2001[update] India census, Gummidipoondi had a population of 32665. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Gummidipoondi has an average literacy rate of 70%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 77%, and female literacy is 63%. In Gummidipoondi, 13% of the population is under 6 years of age. Countries major language speakers dwells here.Prime languages spoken in Gummidipoondi are Tamil, Telugu and Hindi.
Gummidipoondi is moderately equipped to serve fundamental education to its people. some of the schools located with in or near by to the town
- St.Mary's Matric hr. sec school
- K.L.Krishnaswamy (K.L.K)Boys Govt. hr. sec school,
- Govt girls hr sec school
- St.Mary's primary school
- L.E.F Nursery & Primary school
- Vivekanandha hr sec school
- Elite matric hr sec school
- R.M.K residential school
- R.M.K Matric hr sec school
- M.V.M Matriculation school
Amudha Bharathi Vasiyogam centre is one of the famous yoga teaching centre in gummidipoondi. It was coined by Yoga Maniji.
- Chennai - 50 km (Road)
- Kavaraipettai - 07 km (Road)
- Elavur - 06 km (Road)
- Kanyakumari - 806 km (Railway)
- Gudalur (via Connoor)- 700 km (Road)
- Rameshwaram - 721 km (Railway)
- Madurai - 530 km
- Coimbatore - 544 km
- Ponneri - 11 km
- Sricity - 5 km
- Rajapalayam - 660 km
- Tanjore - 350 km
- BILLAKUPPAM - 6 km
- Kammar palayam -5 km
- Mannargudi - 353 km
- Rakkampalayam - 6 km
- Kumbakonam - 325 km
- Tada Falls - 55 km
- solavaram - 18 km
- Thandalacheri-5 km
- Gummidipoondi is connected by Railways and Roadways.
- The SubUrban Trains from sulurpet, Chennai Central and Chennai Beach connects Gummidipoondi.
- Passengers trains also connect nellore, vijayawada, vizag cities.
- The MTC Buses to Gummidipoondi plies from Chennai Broadway, kallur, madharpakkam, Madras high court, Thiruvallur, Vallalar Nagar and RedHills.
- Bus connects the cities like arrakonam, kanchipuram, chennai, ponneri, thiruvallur and thiruthani in Tamil Nadu and nellore, thirupathi,
shri kalashthri, vijayawada, vizag and udhayagiri in andhra pradesh.
- MTC, Moufsal, APSRTC, some private transport companies buses had their daily routines.
- Even though highly crowded and industrialised the transportation facilities are not developed.However no frequent transit are not available. In some cases people might await for couple of hours. At most all possible transports are filled with people.
It is one of the famous industrial area
Member of Legislative Assembly (MLA)
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2011 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- C. H. Sekar