I'm a Gummy Bear (The Gummy Bear Song)
|"I'm A Gummy Bear
(The Gummy Bear Song)"
|Single by Gummibär|
|from the album I Am Your Gummy Bear|
|Released||13 October 2007|
|Format||CD single, digital download, remixes EP|
|Label||Gummybear International|
|Producer(s)||Tonekind, Papabar, Rene Rennefeld|
|Gummibär singles chronology|
"I'm a Gummy Bear (The Gummy Bear Song)" is a novelty dance song by Gummibär, in reference to the gummy bear, a type of bear-shaped candy originating Germany. It was written by German composer Christian Schneider and released by its label Gummybear International. The song was first released in Hungary, where it spent eight months as number 1.
Subsequently it became global as an internet meme, in large part due to its corresponding videos on YouTube and MySpace. It has since been released in at least twenty five languages and has virally spread worldwide with more than 1 billion plays. The French Version (Funny Bear) was written by Peter Kitsch.
With the song ready-made for ringtone use, one critic commented "he's the ultimate cross-platform, cross-cultural phenomenon YouTube was designed to unleash." It is heard on his debut album I Am Your Gummy Bear released in 2007. Since the song's release, many songs, including a cover of "Blue (Da Ba Dee)", have been released by Gummibär.
Versions have been released in many languages, including originally in Hungarian and English versions.
|Hungarian||Itt van a Gumimaci||Here's The Teddy Gummy Bear|
|Czech||Jsem pouze z gumy méďa||I'm Just A Gummy Bear|
|Dutch||Ik ben een Gummibeer||I Am A Gummy Bear|
|Estonian||Ma olen Kummipea||I Am Gummy Bear|
|French||Je m'appelle Funny Bear||My Name Is Funny Bear|
|German||Ich bin Dein Gummibär||I Am Your Gummy Bear|
|Greek||Tha Mai Kalo Paidi (Θα 'μαι καλό παιδί)*||I'll Be A Good Kid|
|Hebrew||Ani Gummy bear (אני גאמי בר)||I'm A Gummy Bear|
|Irish||Is mise an Gummy Bear||I Am the Gummy Bear|
|Polish||Ja jestem Gumi Miś||I'm Gummy Bear|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Eu Sou O Gummy Bear||I Am Gummy Bear|
|European Portuguese||Eu Sou O Ursinho Gummy||I'm Little Gummy Bear|
|Russian||Ya mishka Gummy Bear (Я мишка Гумми Бер)||I Am Gummy Bear|
|Slovak||Ja som len z gumy macko||I'm Only Teddy Gummy Bear|
|Spanish||Osito Gominola||Teddy Gummy Bear|
|Spanglish||Yo Soy Tu Gummy Bear||I Am Your Gummy Bear|
|Swedish||Jag är en Gummibjörn||I'm A Gummy Bear|
|Japanese||僕はグミベル (Boku wa Gumiberu)||I Am A Gummy Bear|
*There are two Greek versions, the original one and another which produced for a commercial.
Videos corresponding to at least twenty five languages were posted, as well as a version featuring a "jolly and jiggly" lime green cartoon of a rubbery candy gummy bear in orange underwear basically bouncing around and breakdancing. "Oh I'm a yummy, tummy, funny, lucky gummy bear" and "I'm a movin', groovin', jammin', singing gummy bear" are the most common and mostly understood lyrics of this song.
Gummibär, the highly stylized green blue-eyed character is naked except for an orange underwear and sneakers. Gummibär also seems to be bitten with a small portion of the upper left ear missing, which may be because the song is about candy. The bear's muzzle or, allowing for anthropomorphism, his mustache and goatee, are sugar-crusted and he only has two small teeth spaced far apart on his lower jaw.
|Greece Digital Songs (Billboard)||1|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||87|
|US Hot Dance/Electronic Songs (Billboard)||28|
|Japan (Japan Hot 100)||36|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||53|
- "Gummibär: Discography". Billboard.com. 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-11-04. Retrieved 2007-12-10. Has listing for album as well
- Taylor, Chuck (8 December 2007). "News and Reviews: I'm A Gummy Bear by Gummibar". Billboard.com. Archived from the original on 2007-12-02. Retrieved 2007-12-10.
- "Gummy Bear set to take Crazy Frog's mantle". The Daily Telegraph.
- "Gummibär "I Am Your Gummy Bear"". Ottawa XPress.
- Gummi (15 October 2007). "Je m'appelle Funny Bear - Full French Version". Gummybear International. Retrieved 2007-12-10.
- Gummi (15 October 2007). "Ich bin Dein Gummibär - Full German Version". Gummybear International. Retrieved 2007-12-10.
- Gummi (17 October 2007). "Jag är en Gummibjörn: Full Swedish Version". Gummybear International. Retrieved 2007-12-10.
- Gummiy miop fished in the west (29 November 2007). "Two New Videos Have Just Been Added!". Gummybear International. Retrieved 2007-12-10.
- YouTube - GUMMIBÄR
- "GummiBear". Petedodd. Retrieved 2007-12-10.
- "Digital Singles Charts - Greece (December 19, 2009)". Billboard.
- "Gummibär Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Gummibär. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "Gummibär Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Dance/Electronic Songs for Gummibär. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "Gummy Bear Album & Song Chart History" Japan Hot 100 for Gummy Bear. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "Gummibär – Ich bin dein Gummibär". Officialcharts.de. GfK Entertainment. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Gummybear – GUMMYBEAR SONG". Singles Top 60. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "Australian-charts.com – Gummibär – I'M YOUR FUNNY BEAR". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved August 1, 2013.