Volgograd International Airport
|Volgograd International Airport
Международный Аэропорт Волгоград
|IATA: VOG – ICAO: URWW
|Operator||JSC "Volgograd International Airport"|
|Elevation AMSL||482 ft / 147 m|
Volgograd International Airport (Russian: Международный Аэропорт Волгоград) (IATA: VOG, ICAO: URWW) is an airport in Russia located 15 km northwest of Volgograd. It comprises a civilian airport built on top of an older military runway (3300 m), now demolished. The terminal area parks 42 medium/large aircraft and 91 small aircraft.
A military training unit was present at Gumrak as late as 1994, the 706 UAP (706th Aviation Training Regiment), using Aero L-39 aircraft. Volgograd Airport served as base for Air Volga. When the airline went bankrupt in April 2010, its aircraft and most of the routes were taken over by RusLine.
Battle of Stalingrad 
The airport, then named Gumrak Airport, was used by the German 6th Army as fuel and supply depot (alongside with Pitomnik Airfield) during the Battle of Stalingrad in 1942/43. After the fall of Pitomnik on 17 January 1943, Gumrak was the only one of seven airfields around Stalingrad still in German hands. On 22 January, a last He 111 aircraft left the airfield with 19 wounded soldiers, the last flight out of Stalingrad for the 6th Army. Gumrak eventually was recaptured on 23 January, leaving the 6th Army without any means of direct support.
Airlines and destinations 
operated by Donavia
|Astra Airlines||Seasonal Charter: Thessaloniki|
|flydubai||Dubai (begins 13 September 2013)|
|RusLine||Moscow-Domodedovo, St Petersburg, Yerevan
Seasonal: Sochi (begins 20 June 2013)
|Transaero Airlines||Charter: Paphos (begins 31 May 2013)|
|UTair Aviation||Moscow-Vnukovo, Surgut (begins 6 June 2013)|
- The Great Patriotic War - 1943 accessed: 9 March 2009
- Hitler's War on Russia Google book review, author: Charles Winchester, publisher: Osprey Publisjing, page: 111, accessed: 10 March 2009
- Das Wolf - Third Reich militaria January 1943, accessed: 9 March 2009
- "flydubai doubles Russia and Ukraine network". Arabian Aerospace. 20 March 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "ИЗ ВОЛГОГРАДА НА КИПР". АвиаПорт.Ru. 26 February 2013. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- "Schedule from city Volgograd". Utair Aviation. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
|This article about an airport in Russia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Russian military article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|