Gun laws in Nebraska
|Subject/Law||Long Guns||Handguns||Relevant Statutes||Notes|
|Permit to purchase required?||No||Yes||A handgun certificate or a concealed carry permit is required for the purchase of a handgun.|
|Firearm registration?||No||No||The city of Omaha requires the registration of all handguns.|
|Owner license required?||No||No|
|Carry permits issued?||No||Yes||Nebraska is a "shall issue" state for concealed carry.|
|Open carry permitted?||Yes||Yes||Open carry is generally permitted, but may be restricted by local governments. For open carry in a vehicle, the firearm must be clearly visible.|
|State preemption of local restrictions?||Yes||Yes||Nebraska has state preemption for most but not all firearm laws.|
|Assault weapon law?||No||No|
|NFA weapons restricted?||No||No|
In Nebraska, to purchase a handgun, a permit to purchase is required. Rifles and shotguns are not subject to gun laws more restrictive than those at the federal level. As of January 1, 2007, concealed handgun permits (CHPs) are being issued by the Nebraska State Patrol. NFA firearms (machine guns, short barreled shotguns, short barreled rifles, and silencers) are legal to own as long as they are compliant with federal law.
In Lincoln, municipal code section 9.36.100 prohibits the possession of a firearm by anyone who has been convicted of certain misdemeanors within the last ten years. These include stalking, violation of an order of protection, impersonating a police officer, and public indecency. The Lancaster County Sheriff will not issue a Nebraska permit to purchase a handgun if the applicant is a Lincoln resident and is prohibited by this law from possessing firearms.
- "State Gun Laws: Nebraska", National Rifle Association – Institute for Legislative Action. Retrieved December 31, 2012.
- "Nebraska State Law Summary", Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. Retrieved December 31, 2012.
- Registering a Handgun, Omaha Police Department
- "Chapter 9.36, Lincoln Municipal Code, City of Lincoln" (PDF). Retrieved November 23, 2011.
- Handgun Certificates, City of Lincoln – Lancaster County Criminal Justice System