Gun laws in New Hampshire
|Subject/Law||Long guns||Handguns||Relevant statutes||Notes|
|State Permit to Purchase?||No||No||NHRS XII §159:14|
|"Assault weapon" law?||No||No|
|Magazine Capacity Restriction?||No||No|
|Owner license required?||No||No|
|Carry License issued?||No||Yes||NHRS XII §159:6||License is shall-issue.|
|Open carry?||Yes||Yes||NHRS XII §159:6
NHRS XVIII §207:7
|Handgun open carry without license except in a motor vehicle. Loaded long guns prohibited from motor vehicles.|
|State Preemption of local restrictions?||Yes||Yes||NHRS XII §159:26||Includes knives.|
|NFA weapons restricted?||No||No|
|Peaceable Journey laws?||No||No|
Concealed and open carry
No license is required to openly carry a firearm while on foot, but carry of a loaded pistol or revolver in a motor vehicle, openly or concealed, does require a license. Note that the NH license is issued for carry of a "pistol or revolver," and is not a license to carry "weapons" as exists in some other states. The NH license is issued by the local mayor, selectmen, or police dept at a cost of $10 for residents, and by the NH State Police at a cost of $100 for non-residents (changed from $20 on July 1, 2009). The term of issue of the license is four years for non-residents, and at least four years for residents. Turn around time is generally 1 – 2 weeks, with 14 days being the maximum time allowed by law.
- "State Gun Laws: New Hampshire", National Rifle Association – Institute for Legislative Action. Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- "New Hampshire State Law Summary", Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- "New Hampshire Statues – Chapter 159: Pistols and Revolvers". Gencourt.us. Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- Pro-Gun New Hampshire - Frequently Asked Questions about NH Gun Laws
- "New Hampshire State Police – Pistol and Revolver Licensing". Nh.gov. July 1, 2009. Retrieved November 23, 2011.
- "New Hampshire State Police – Permits and Licensing FAQs". Nh.gov. Retrieved November 23, 2011.
- "OCDO – NH State Summary". Opencarry.org. Retrieved November 23, 2011.
- "NH State Summary – Minimum Age to Purchase or Possess". LCAV. Retrieved November 23, 2011.
- "New Hampshire Statutes – Chapter 159: Pistols and Revolvers". Gencourt.state.nh.us. Retrieved November 23, 2011.