||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (June 2013)|
Gunnar Garfors (born 29 May 1975 in Hammerfest) has worked with new media developments and mobile services in particular since 2001. He has presented on these topics at seminars and conferences on six continents and regularly takes part in panel discussions. He strongly advocates the necessity of broadcasting as a distribution technology, in parallel to the internet. Garfors writes garfors.com, a renowned blog on media, technology and travel.
Garfors has since August 2008 been CEO of Norwegian Mobile TV Corporation (NMTV) and also works as a consultant within New Media at the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation in Oslo. He is furthermore President of International DMB Advancement Group (IDAG) and sat one year as Vice President of the mobile expert group of European Broadcasting Union in 2008-09.
Garfors headed the launch of live TV to mobile phones for NRK as the first in the world. He was one of the pioneers of a number of other innovative mobile services, i.e. the "world's first" personalized ads in a mobile TV service and advanced forms of interactivity that combined mobile services and television.
He is from Naustdal but lives in Oslo. Gunnar Garfors used to play football for Førde IL in Norwegian Second and Third Division in the 1990s and was the top goal scorer for the team two seasons. Garfors played for Falmouth Town 1995-98 and trained with Plymouth Argyle in English Division 2 in 1996. He is also an avid traveler and has visited 'all the world's 198' countries. He visited the last one, Cape Verde, on May 8, 2013 and became the youngest hobby traveller to visit all countries. Garfors allegedly set a world record on June 18, 2012 together with British Adrian Butterworth by being the first to visit five continents in the same day.
- Hanssen Ann-Kristin "Skjomen er en av hans favorittsteder", Fremover, Oslo, May 21, 2013.
- Gonsholt Simen V. "I dag er Gunnars livsverk komplett", Dagens Næringsliv, Oslo, May 10, 2013.
- Bjoland Trond Espen. "Har snart besøkt alle verdas land", NRK, Førde, March 14, 2013.
- Doyle James. "Top Gun", Mobile TV World, London, October 4, 2012.
- Staff writer. "Friends film visit to five continents in one day", BBC, Dorset, July 2, 2012.
- Wong, Hiufu. "How to travel five continents in one day", CNN, Hong Kong, June 29, 2012.
- Langeland, Karl Kristian. "Skal besøke alle verdas land", NRK Sogn og Fjordane, Førde, January 1, 2012.
- Andersen, Erik. "Mini-TV på lufta", Fagbladet Elektronikkbransjen, Oslo, May 19, 2009.
- Valmot, Odd Richard. "Seks kanaler i lomma i dag", Teknisk Ukeblad, Oslo, May 15, 2009.
- Baugerød Stokke, Ole Petter. "Gir nordmenn tv på do", Computerworld. Oslo, November 10, 2009.
- Weiby, Hans Erik Weiby and Slydal Johansen, Glenn. "Se NRK hvor som helst - på mini-tv", Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation. Oslo, May 15, 2009.
- Briel, Robert. "Norway launches mobile TV via DMB", Broadband TV News. London, May 18, 2009.
- Børringbo, Klaus. "Klart for mobil-tv i april", Aftenposten. Oslo, January 13. 2009.
- Axline, Keith. "Reach out and touch Bono", Wired. USA, February 12, 2005.
- Took part in a panel discussion at Online News Association 2009, San Francisco
- Presented at European Broadcasting Unions Journalism & Sports conference 2005, Geneva
- Major Minor Details on Media and Technology on garfors.com