Guntur Institute of Medical Sciences
|Guntur Medical College|
|Location||Guntur City, AP, India|
Guntur Institute of Medical Sciences/Guntur Medical College is a medical institute in India. It is one of the medical colleges in Guntur, offering graduate (Masters) and undergraduate (Bachelors) courses in Medical Sciences. It is located in the heart of the city of Guntur, India.
The college is affiliated to the NTR University of Health Sciences and is in the process to become autonomous as Guntur Institute of Medical Sciences.
The college works in conjunction with Government General Hospital-Guntur - a tertiary care hospital with 1500 beds, catering to the health needs of the public of the coastal belt of Andhra Pradesh, India.
- Departments in the College campus: Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Forensic Medicine, Pathology, Social & Preventive Medicine
- Departments in the Hospital campus Casualty (Emergency Medicine), Internal Medicine, Paediatrics, Cardiology, Neurology, Venereology, Dermatology, Nephrology, Gastroenterology, Radiodiagnosis, Radiotherapy,Psychiatry, Neurology, Anaesthesiology, Fever Hospital, Surgery, Orthopaedics, E.N.T, Plastic Surgery, Paediatric Surgery, Urology, Neurosurgery, Ophthalmology, Dentistry, Obstetrics & Gynaecology,
- The main campus works with the Guntur General Hospital on various issues. It is one of the few centers in the country to have satellite based training.,.
The construction of the college was started in 1946. In July 1954 Clinical courses started. The college began with 50 undergraduate students. By 1960, the number was 150 students. The postgraduate courses in Pre-Clinical subjects started in 1956 and the Clinical subjects in 1958.
The college admits 78 postgraduate students every year. In addition to the undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, the college trains Paramedical staff like Radiographers, Lab. Technicians, Lab. Attendants, Pharmacists, Nurses, and Sanitary Inspectors.
After the formation of the A.P University of Health Sciences in 1989 it was affiliated to APUHS (now it is NTRUHS), Vijayawada.
Quiz programmes were conducted at College and National Levels to explore the skills of the students . There are sports activities and GMC students have won the University blues and athletic awards. GMC has arts and cultural activities also.
There is a students Co-operative stores and a students canteen on the campus.
The library accommodates 150 undergraduate students and 50 postgraduate students and has accommodation for staff. A Reading Room has been constructed by GMCANA for the benefit of students. The men students have hostel facilities located on the Amaravathi Road about 3 km. from the college. There are two buildings which provide accommodation for 302 students. A Ladies Hostel opposite to Guntur Officers Club provides accommodation for 210 female students. There are college buses for the transport of students from hostel to college and hospital. Both the hostels are located in an area which serves as a playground for sports activities.
Guntur General Hospital has a bed strength of 1038. About 4-5 thousand people throng the O.P. departments daily for medical relief. The hospital houses a interns' hostel,a postgraduates' hostel and a nursing school.
- Dr. Puchalapalli Mitra, Gastroenterology & Laparoscopic surgeon, Managing Director, Genova Biotech, Hyderabad
- Dr. Soma Raju Bhupatiraju, Cardiologist, Surgeon, Chairman, CARE Hospitals.
- Dr. Krishnam Raju Penmetsa, Chief Cardiologist, CARE Hospitals.
- Dr. Gopichand Mannam, Cardiothoracic Surgeon, Managing Director Star Hospitals.
- Dr. V.R. Machiraju, Cardiothoracic Surgeon, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
- Dr. Jayaprakash Narayan, I.A.S, Founder and President Loksatta, M.L.A(Kukatpally), Andra Pradesh.
- Dr. Kodela Siva Prasad, General Surgeon and prominent politician of TDP, Narasarao Peta, AP.
- Dr. Y Nayudamma, Pediatric surgeon
- Dr. Pothineni Ramesh Babu, Cardiologist, Vijayawada
- Dr. Krishna Doddi, Emergency Medicine Specialist, South Texas VA Healthcare System
GMC alumni of uk web site: www.gmcalumni.co.uk