|Birth name||Gurdeep Samra|
|Also known as||G Samra|
|Born||May 5, 1983|
|Origin||Oxford, England, UK|
|Genres||World Music, Asian Underground, Hip-Hop|
|Occupation(s)||Record Producer, DJ|
|Instruments||Drum Machine, Turntables|
Gurdeep Samra (known as G Samra) is a British Asian music producer and DJ from Bicester, England. As a producer, he has a notable presence within the world music community. He is often labelled as a producer of bhangra music.
Gurdeep was born in Oxford of Jatt descent. He grew up in the nearby town of Bicester and attended The Cooper Secondary School and Oxford and Cherwell Valley College. He has a publishing degree at Oxford Brookes University.
Career in music
Gurdeep was influenced by both hip-hop and bhangra music but it was the unique fusion of both genres by DJ/producer Panjabi MC that inspired Gurdeep to begin experimenting himself and to study music theory from a young age.
In 2002, Gurdeep released a collaboration with Panjabi folk singer, Surinder Shinda. The song, Jatt Panjab became a minor radio favorite with specialist Asian music stations in the UK. The track caught the attention of Markie Mark who licenced the song for the compilation album Desi Beats Vol 1. This album went on to be released by the UK imprint of the music label Def Jam. Since this debut, Gurdeep has released a steady string of underground recordings and remixes (see discography below).
Gurdeep champions the method of digital delivery in the retail of his music. Having released an MP3 single (Sharabbia) on his own website in 2004 and on iTunes in 2006, he claims to be one of the first UK Asian artists to have independently achieved this. His subsequent releases after The First Cut EP have all been for digital retail only.
- 2003 - Panjabi Hit Squad’s Desi Beats Vol 1 - Def Jam UK (Various Artists Comp - Contributor)
- 2005 - The First Cut EP - Gsamra.com
- 2005 - Ashlene Nand presents BHOOD - Bollyhood Records (Various Artists Comp - Contributor)
- 2005 - Jade Foxx's LAWHT Mixtape 2 - Full Impact (Compilation/Contributor)
- 2005 - Future World Funk’s On The Run - Ether Music (Various Artists Comp - Contributor)
- 2006 - Beginners Guide to Asian Lounge - Nascente Music (Various Artists Comp - Contributor)
- 2007 - Back for the Second EP - Gsamra.com
- 2007 - Project 3 EP - Gsamra.com
- 2009 - The First Cut EP (Remastered Edition) - Gsamra.com
- 2009 - Just the Beats: Vol 1 - Gsamra.com (Instrumental Compilation)
- 2009 - Ready & Reloaded EP - Gsamra.com
- 2009 - Undercover Funk EP - Creative Independent
- 2011 - Untitled Project EP - Creative Independent (Release Date TBC)
- 2011 - Just the Beats: Vol 2 - Creative Independent (Release Date TBC)