Gurpreet Singh Sandhu
|Date of birth||3 February 1992|
|Place of birth||Mohali, Punjab, India|
|Height||1.97 m (6 ft 5 1⁄2 in)|
|Current club||East Bengal|
|2000–2009||St. Stephen's Academy|
|2010–2011||→ Pailan Arrows (loan)||5||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Gurpreet was born on 3 February 1992 in Mohali, Punjab, India. Gurpreet took up the game of football at the age of 8. Once he started playing he joined the St. Stephen's Academy in 2000. After good performances at the St. Stephen's Academy Gurpreet was selected for his state youth team, the Punjab U16s. He made his youth state level debut in 2006 in Haldwani. He stayed at St. Stephen's Academy till 2009 when he joined I-League side East Bengal as a youth player. He spent the rest of 2009 as a youth player for East Bengal.
In 2010 Gurpreet officially signed a professional contract with East Bengal. Due to injuries to East Bengal number 1 Abhra Mondal Gurpreet managed to get five caps for East Bengal before the end of the 2009–10 I-League. For the 2010-11 I-League season Gurpreet went out on loan to AIFF XI in the hope to gain some playing time. He ended the season with no caps for AIFF XI or Indian Arrows as they were called at the end of the season (now Pailan Arrows). For the 2011-12 I-League Gurpreet went back to East Bengal and became the number 2 goalkeeper during the 2011 Indian Federation Cup. After the Federation Cup ended Gurpreet became the number one keeper for East Bengal for the I-League campaign. Gurpreet started in East Bengal's first game of the 2011-12 I-League campaign in there 0–1 loss to Churchill Brothers. He then made his club international debut on 6 March 2012 in the 2012 AFC Cup against Al-Oruba. East Bengal lost the match 0–1. He played an important role in helping east Bengal to qualify for the ifa shield final 2013 by saving tie breakers in the semis against mohun bagan and helped by keeping clean sheets in the AFC cup qualifiers.
Gurpreet made his debut for the India U19s against the Iraq U19s in the 2010 AFC U-19 Championship qualification on 5 November 2009. He was then surprisingly called up to the India national football team 2011 AFC Asian Cup 23-man squad. He made his debut against Turkmenistan in a 1-1 draw.
Statistics accurate as of 23 December 2012
|Pailan Arrows (loan)|
Apps = Appearances || CS = Clean Sheets
- FS Sports. "Gurpreet Singh Sandu". FS Sports. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- goal.com. "Gurpreet Singh Sandhu". goal.com. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- East Bengal: The Real Power. "East Bengal signs India u-19 Goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu". East Bengal: The Real Power. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- goal.com. "East Bengal 0-1 Churchill Brothers: Opara’s First Half-Strike Enough For The Goans To Register An Away Victory". goal.com. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- goal.com. "East Bengal 0-1 Al Orouba: The Red and Gold pay for a defensive lapse in spite of being the superior team in both halves.He had by then became hero by saving in the tie-breaks in Super Cup and IfA Shield". goal.com. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- the-afc.com. "AFC U19 CHAMPIONSHIP 2010 MATCH SUMMARY". the-afc.com. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "turkmenistan 1 india 1". soccerway. Retrieved 8 May 2013.