||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
Mangalore , Karnataka, India
|Occupation||Actor, Singer, Music Director|
|Years active||1994- Present|
|Spouse(s)||Pallavi Guru Kiran|
Gurukiran or Gurukiran Shetty is a music director of the Kannada film industry in India. He started his career as a music director of the Kannada movie "A", directed and acted by Upendra. His music for his next movie Upendra further consolidated his position in Kannada movie industry. He is a native of Mangalore and his mother tongue is Tulu. He has also acted in several movies in side (character) roles and also sung several songs. He is popular in Kannada cinema for his foot tapping musical scores.
He was a class singer even in his School days at St Aloysius pry school in early 70s . After completion of graduation in commerce from Mangalore University, Guru Kiran started performing in orchestras in and around Mangalore as a singer and a keyboard performer.
He started off his musical career in 1994 as an assistant to the well known music director V. Manohar well known music director and lyricist.
His first film is tulu( badkongi Kabithe) Mr.Shanker Bekal as camera man. He entered the film industry to be known as a famous actor and had even tried his luck acting in films. He did get a noticeable role in Nishkarsha directed by Sunil Kumar Desai, but luck was not with him as an actor.
As music director
He had a chance to be a music director in "A" directed by Upendra. Guru Kiran did his best, worked hard spent some sleepless nights to compose some fantastic songs for "A". His recent hit P. Vasu's directed Apthamitra which again reinforced the power of Guru Kiran in the music composition. Jogi released in the year 2005 was a mile stone in the career of Guru Kiran. The film's album audio sales before the release of the film is an all time record in the Kannada film industry. This hit took him to Telugu Film Industry as music director for remake of same movie.He is also scoring music for Telugu movie Nagavalli, which is the remake of blockbuster Kannada movie Aptharakshaka'.
He has been involved in multiple music talent shows as a judge, including 2 seasons of Confident Star Singer on Asianet Suvarna. He has also been a guest judge on shows like Ede Tumbi Haduvenu on ETV Kannada.
He had sung many songs in Kannada films in his own composition as well as others."Kanasina Maratta" song sung by him, is a big hit in "Banna Bannada Loka" Kannada film, Music Directed by Thomas Rathnam.
- 2001 - Filmfare Award for Best Music Director - Kannada - Chitra
- 2002 - Filmfare Award for Best Music Director - Kannada - Dhum
- 2004 - Filmfare Award for Best Music Director - Kannada - Apthamitra
- 1998 - Best Music Director - A
Srigandha Awards :
- 2001 - Best Music Director - Chitra
- 2004 - Best Music Director - Apthamitra
- 2006 - Best Music Director - Jogi
- 'Nava Yuva Prathibe' award for the best entry in the TV Industry for acting and Music(1994)
- 'Chitra Premigala Prashasthi' and 'Indira Priyadarshani Prashasthi' award for 'Pavithra' and 'Jeevan Chakra'–Kannada TV serials(1996).
- 'Aryabhata Award' for the title music of 'Balabeladingalu'(2000).
- 'Kannada Chitra Premigala Prashasthi' for the film Chitra(2001).
- 'Gandhinagar Prashasthi'& 'Suryodhaya Prashasthi 2002' for Best Music Director for the film Appu (2002).
- Gandhinagar Award for Best Playback Singer for the song 'Maathadu Saaku' in the movie Kariya(2003)
- 'Chitra Rasikara Sanga award' for Best Music Director, for the same Apthamitra (2004).
- "Sri Rajiv Gandhi " memorial award for his excellency in music(2005).
- "Sri Balindra award" for his excellency in music(2005).
- "Karavali Mutthu" award for his excellency in music(2005).
- "ETV Award" for his Best Music Direction, for the blockbuster hit – Jogi(2006).
- "Guru Kiran’s magnanimity!". Sify. May 3, 2005. Retrieved 8 July 2012.