Gusmano Cesaretti (born July 24, 1944) is an Italian self-taught photographer and artist from Lucca, Italy. He has also worked in films as a producer and visual consultant. He is one of the first photographers to document the East Los Angeles street culture, and has produced photojournalistic works in locations around the world including North, Central, and South America, Southeast Asia, China, Africa, and the Midwest.
Los Angeles Street Life
Cesaretti created series of photographs in Cuba, Bolivia, Panama, Brazil, Mexico, China, Thailand, Lebanon, Israel, Africa, and Chicago's South Side and Cabrini–Green Housing Project. These photographic studies are documented on his web site.
As Curator and Publisher
Cesaretti has curated many exhibitions, starting with his gallery Cityscape Foto Gallery, which he founded in Pasadena, California in 1977. He was instrumental in arranging the exhibition of several major works by Los Angeles street artists in the Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art's blockbuster 2011 Art in the Streets show. In 2014 he started publishing FOTOFOLIO, a free journal of black and white photography by well-known and emerging photographers.
Books and Exhibitions
Cesaretti's photographs have appeared in many books and magazines, including Street Writers (Acrobat Books, 1975), and Fragments of Los Angeles (Damian/Alleged Press, 2013). His work has been exhibited at the Huntington Library, the Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art, and the Smithsonian Institution.
Work in films
Cesaretti has worked closely with film directors Michael Mann, Tony Scott, and Marc Forster, to create the look and feel of many feature films, including Last of the Mohicans, The Insider, Public Enemies, The Taking of Pelham 123, Quantum of Solace, Collateral, Heat, Miami Vice, Manhunter and Ali.
Gusmano has been married to Rosa Cesaretti since 1984. He has one son, Vasco Cesaretti, and one daughter, Tosca Cesaretti, from a previous marriage.
- Beronius, George, "The Sight and Sounds of East LA" Los Angeles Times, April 11, 1976
- Jones, Mark, "Six Photographers in Search of the City of Angels" Los Angeles Times Calendar, November 13, 1977
- Elliot, Gilbert, "East LA's Klique Car Club" Lowrider Magazine, February, 1995
- Cahill, Tim, "Moonwalk Serenade" Rolling Stone Magazine, July 13, 1978
- Picture Magazine, Volumes 1 and 2, July and August, 1976
- Official website
- http://italia.radio6.nl/category/chet-baker/ : Cesaretti discussing Chet Baker's prison experience in Lucca