Gustav Frederik Holm
Gustav Frederik Holm (August 6, 1849 – March 13, 1940) was a Danish naval officer and Arctic explorer, born at Copenhagen. He was made commander in the navy in 1899, was chief of the hydrographic bureau from 1899 to 1909, and became director of pilots in 1912. He became distinguished for his explorations, especially of the east coast of Greenland. In 1876, he participated in K. J. V. Steenstrup's geological expedtition to the Julianehåb District. From 1883 to 1885 he led the Umiak Expedition with T. V. Garde, exploring the east coast of Christian IX Land, as far as 66° 8' N using umiak boats. The expedition discovered 11 hitherto unknown Inuit communities, numbering 431 inhabitants, and five great ice fiords. For his explorations he received gold medals from the Société de Géographie, Paris (1891), and the Danish Geographical Society (1895), and the Danish Order of Merit (1909). The results and observations of the expeditions were published in Den danske Konebaads-Expedition til Grønlands Østkyst 1883-85 (1889) and Om de geografiske Forhold i dansk Østgrønland (1889). Cape Gustav Holm is named after him.
- Holm, G.; Garde, V. (1889). Beretning om Konebaads-Expeditionen til Grønlands Østkyst 1883-85 (Den Østgrønlandske Expedition udført i Aarene 1883-85 under ledelse af G. Holm, Del 1) [Report on the Uniak Expedition along the East coast of Greenland 1883-85 (The East Greenland Expedition conducted in the years 1883-85 under command of G. Holm, Part 1)]. Meddelelser om Grønland (in Danish) 9.
- Holm, G.; Garde, V. (1889). Om de geografiske Forhold i Dansk Østgrønland (Den Østgrønlandske Expedition udført i Aarene 1883-85 under ledelse af G. Holm, Del 2) [On the geography of Danish East Greenland (The East Greenland Expedition conducted in the years 1883-85 under command of G. Holm, Part 2)]. Meddelelser om Grønland (in Danish) 9.
- Holm, G. F. (1883). Beskrivelse af ruiner i Julianehaabs Distrikt, der ere undersøgte i aaret 1880 [Description of some ruins in the Julianehaab District investigated in the year 1880]. Meddelelser om Grønland (in Danish) 3 (3).
- Holm, G. (1924). Small Additions to the Vinland Problem. In Consequence of Professor H. P. Steensby's "Norsemen's Route from Greenland to Wineland". Meddelelser om Grønland 59 (3).
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Gilman, D. C.; Thurston, H. T.; Moore, F., eds. (1905). "article name needed". New International Encyclopedia (1st ed.). New York: Dodd, Mead.
- Thomas Vilhelm Garde
- Cartographic expeditions to Greenland
- List of Arctic expeditions
- Ammassalik wooden maps
|This article about an explorer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|