Kuijer in 2012
1 August 1942 |
Writer (1971 to date)
|Education||Bachelor of Education|
|Notable awards||Gouden Griffel
1976, 1979, 2000, 2005
Astrid Lindgren Award
Guus Kuijer (born 1 August 1942) is a Dutch author. He wrote books for children and adults, and is best known for the Madelief series of children's books. For his career contribution to "children's and young adult literature in the broadest sense" he won the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award from the Swedish Arts Council in 2012, the biggest prize in children's literature. As a children's writer he was one of five finalists for the biennial, international Hans Christian Andersen Award in 2008.
Guus Kuijer is born on 1 August 1942 in Amsterdam, Netherlands. His parents were members of the Catholic Apostolic Church, but in 2006 Kuijer explained that he doesn't remember ever believing in God.
In 1968 he started writing short stories for the magazine Hollands Maandblad and in 1971 he published a collection of his short stories. In 1973 he stopped teaching in order to become a full-time writer and this year he published his first novel Het dochtertje van de wasvrouw.
Stage & screen adaptations
Years later, a television series Madelief (1994) and movie Scratches in the Table (1998) were made of his book series about Madelief (1975–1979). Of his book series Polleke (1999–2001) a movie Polleke (2003) and a television series Polleke (2005) were made.
In 2011 Australian Richard Tulloch translated The Book of Everything into English and adapted it into a very successful play produced in 2013 by the Melbourne Theatre Company.
- 1976 – Gouden Griffel for Met de poppen gooien
- 1977 – Zilveren Griffel for Grote mensen, daar kun je beter soep van koken
- 1979 – Staatsprijs for kinder- en jeugdliteratuur
- 1979 – Gouden Griffel for Krassen in het tafelblad
- 1984 – Zilveren Griffel for Eend voor eend
- 1988 – Zilveren Griffel for Tin Toeval en de kunst van het verdwalen / Tin Toeval en het geheim van tweebeenseiland
- 2000 – Gouden Griffel for Voor altijd samen, amen
- 2002 – Zilveren Griffel for Met de wind mee naar de zee
- 2003 – Woutertje Pieterseprijs for Ik ben Polleke hoor!
- 2005 – Gouden Griffel for Het boek van alle dingen
- 2005 – Gouden Uil jeugdliteratuurprijs for Het boek van alle dingen
- 2007 – E. du Perronprijs for Hoe een klein rotgodje god vermoordde (2006) and Het doden van een mens (2007)
- 2012 – Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award
- "Guus Kuijer". WorldCat.org. Retrieved 27 March 2010.
- "Guus Kuijer: Biography". Dutch Foundation for Literature. Retrieved 27 March 2010.
- "2012: Guus Kuijer: Portrays both the problems facing contemporary society and life’s big questions". The Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Almapriset till Guus Kuijer". Dagens Nyheter. 20 March 2012. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "2008". Hans Christian Andersen Awards. International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY). With contemporary material including the 31 March 2008 press release. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- (Dutch) Kuijer, Guus, Digital Library for Dutch Literature, 2007. Retrieved 8 November 2011.
- (Dutch) Guus Kuijer. Hoe een rotgodje God vermoordde, Boeken&cetera. 2006. Retrieved 8 November 2011.