Guy Hubert Bailey is a sociolinguist and was the president of the University of Alabama, his baccalaureate alma mater. He was previously the president of Texas Tech University and held earlier positions at Emory University, Texas A&M University, and Oklahoma State University, prior to serving as dean of liberal arts at University of Nevada at Reno. From there he became provost of the University of Texas at San Antonio. Before assuming the role at Texas Tech, he was the chancellor of the University of Missouri–Kansas City.
Bailey holds a bachelor’s and master’s degrees in English from the University of Alabama and a doctorate in English linguistics from the University of Tennessee. He did postdoctoral studies at Emory University and Stanford University. He is the author of about 100 books and articles.
University of Texas at San Antonio
University of Missouri–Kansas City
Bailey's term as chancellor of the University of Missouri–Kansas City began on January 1, 2006.
Texas Tech University
On July 2, 2008, Bailey was selected to succeed Jon Whitmore as the president of Texas Tech University. He assumed the position on August 1, 2008. Bailey's wife, Jan Tillery, is a Texas Tech graduate who was raised in the Lubbock area.
University of Alabama
On October 31st, 2012 Bailey announced that he would be stepping down as president of the University, to focus on his wife's health care needs.
Work in linguistics
Bailey is known nationally for his work in linguistics and has often researched jointly with his wife. One of his most notable projects is a long-term sociolinguistic study, in collaboration with Patricia Cukor-Avila, of an African-American town nicknamed "Springville" in the Brazos Valley of Texas.
Bailey has two adult children, Jordan and Brooks, from his first marriage. He was married to his second wife Jan Tillery-Bailey until her death on September 1, 2013.
- Eaton, Kim (September 4, 2012). "Guy Bailey era begins at University of Alabama". Tuscaloosa News. Retrieved September 15, 2012.
- Reeves, Jay (2012-07-12). "It's back to 'Bama for Bailey: Hired away from Tech, Crimson Tide alum happy to go 'home'". Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. pp. A1, A4. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- "Dr. Guy Bailey Named President of The University of Alabama". University of Alabama. July 11, 2012. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
- Hoover, Brittany; Westbrook, Ray; Wilen, Holden (2012-07-07). "Gone with the Tide". Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. pp. A1, A10. Retrieved 2012-07-13. Print version contains details not found in the web version. See also "Guy Bailey becomes Texas Tech's 15th president". Texas Tech Today. 2008-07-24. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "Bailey selected as Chancellor of UMKC". Kansas City Business Journal. July 25, 2005
- "Guy Bailey Becomes Texas Tech's 15th President". Texas Tech University. July 24, 2008
- Tech's new president, Guy Bailey, officially takes office
- "Tech appears set on president". Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. July 3, 2008
- "Dr. Guy Bailey Named President of The University of Alabama". University of Alabama News. Retrieved 2 August 2012..
- Gross, Natalie (September 2, 2013). "Jan Bailey, wife of former Tech president, passes away Sunday after long cancer battle". Lubbock Avalance-Journal. Archived from the original on September 5, 2013. Retrieved September 5, 2013.