Life and works
Guy Beiner is a graduate of Tel Aviv University and holds a PhD from the National University of Ireland. He was a Government of Ireland Scholar at University College Dublin, a Government of Ireland Research Fellow at Trinity College Dublin, and a National Endowment for the Humanities Fellow at the Keough-Naughton Institute for Irish Studies in the University of Notre Dame. His research focuses on remembrance and forgetting in modern history, with a particular interest in modern Ireland. He has also published on other subjects, including oral history, the influenza pandemic of 1918-19, and the history of terrorism.
His book Remembering the Year of the French: Irish Folk History and Social Memory (University of Wisconsin Press: Madison, 2007; paperback 2009) won several international awards, including the Ratcliff Prize 2007 for "an important contribution by an individual to the study of Folklore or Folk Life in Great Britain and Ireland"; the Wayland D. Hand Prize 2008 for an outstanding publication in history and folklore; the National Council on Public History [NCPH] Book Award 2008 finalist, commended for "outstanding contribution in the subfield of public history and policy"; Cundill International Prize 2008 longlist for a book determined to have a profound literary, social and academic impact in the area of history.
- Remembering the Year of the French: Irish Folk History and Social Memory (University of Wisconsin Press: Madison, 2007) Google Books
- For reviews see: Times Literary Supplement (7 December 2007), Dublin Review of Books (Winter 2007), Journal of British Studies (Oct. 2007), Studies in English Literature 1500-1900 (Winter 2007), Choice (Feb. 2008), History (April 2008), Irish Literary Supplement (Spring 2008); Études Irlandaises (Spring 2008); Nations & Nationalism (April 2008); Cultural & Social History (June 2008), Field Day Review (June 2008); Journal of Folklore Research (July 2008); English Historical Review (August 2008); Folklore (Aug. 2008); Journal of Historical Geography (Oct. 2008); History Ireland (Sept./Oct. 2008); American Historical Review (Oct. 2008); Zmanim (Autumn 2008); Irish Historical Studies (Nov. 2008); Memory Studies (Jan. 2009); Public Historian (May 2009); Journal of Contemporary History (June 2009); Irish Times (July 2009); Irish Review (2009); H-Albion (Nov. 2009); Western Folklore (Spring 2009); Irish Economic and Social History (2009); Historia (March 2010); also featured in: Forward (30 March 2007), Jerusalem Post (7 October 2007); Public Radio International (6 July 2008); ‘Talking History’, Newstalk (2009)
- Guy Beiner at the Keough-Naughton Institute for Irish Studies website
- Cundill International Prize in History longlist annunciation
- Gabriel Sanders, "Israeli Scholar Trains an Eye on the Emerald Isle", Forward (March, 2007)
- Faculty Page at Ben Gurion University of the Negev [in Hebrew]