||This biographical article is written like a résumé. (October 2013)|
Ramat Gan, Israel
|Training||Columbia University, New York|
He received his Bachelor of Art in Education in 1997 from Hamidrash Art College, Ramat Hasharon, Israel, and his Master of Fine Arts at Columbia University in New York City in 2003, where he studied under among others, the critic Jerry Saltz.
Since the early 1990s, Guy Ben-Ner has filmed a series of short videos starring himself and his family, often using the intimate spaces of their home as ad hoc set, studio, and fantastical playroom. His works are often exhibited with the simple sets and props created for the videos.
Wild Boy (2004), an adaptation of François Truffaut’s 1970 film L’enfant sauvage (The Wild Child), can be shown in two forms: alone, or incorporated into an installation that re-creates a woodland set that the artist built in his kitchen, complete with a tree and a carpeted hill on which visitors may sit to watch the video. In Stealing Beauty (2007), the artist's family staged guerrilla theater in Ikea showrooms: Moving among the displays, they conduct a reasonable facsimile of family life; dishes are done, discipline imposed, discussions held (private property is a topic), and everyone tucks in for the night — in numerous beds — as Ikea’s other customers wander through.
Ben-Ner represented Israel in the 2005 Venice Biennale. He also had solo exhibitions at the Center for Contemporary Art, Tel Aviv (2006); Center for Contemporary Photography, Melbourne (2006); Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal, Montreal (2007); L'Espace Shawinigan of the National Gallery of Canada (2008); and the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (2009).
Awards and prizes
- 1994 Ingeborg Bachman Scholarship, established by Anselm Kiefer, Wolf Foundation
- 2007 Preis des Internationalen Wettbewerbs: KunstFilmBiennale, Köln/Cologne, Germany
- 2008 The Sandberg Prize for Israeli Art, Israel Museum, Jerusalem, Israel
- Photo of the artist, Haaretz 
- Galleria, Haaretz, 13.08.2010
- BELLEMODE, 01.09.2010
- Galleria, Rosh Hashana, 08.09.2010
- 7 Nights, Yediot Aharonot, 01.10.2010
- TIME OUT Tel Aviv, 14.10.2010
- Galleria, Haaretz, 05.01.2011
- Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, 26. August 2011, p. 52 Exhibition Uncanny Valley/Wohnwelten in der Kunst, Offenbach am Main, Germany
- Guy Ben-Ner at the Israel Museum. Retrieved February 2012
- "Guy Ben-Ner". Information Center for Israeli Art. Israel Museum. Retrieved February 2012.
- Art of Guy Ben-Ner at Europeana. Retrieved February 2012
- Guy Ben-Ner profile at Kadist Art Foundation
- Guy Ben-Ner National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa.
- Jerry Saltz (January 31, 2008), Artist in Residence - When Guy Ben-Ner goes to Ikea, he’s not there for the meatballs. New York Magazine.
- Guy Ben-Ner University of Chicago.
- Guy Ben-Ner: Thursday the 12th, May 23, 2009 – April 25, 2019 MASS MoCA in North Adams, Massachusetts.
- Adaptation, January 31 – May 4, 2008 Smart Museum of Art, University of Chicago.
- Karen Rosenberg (November 13, 2009), Art in Review: Guy Ben-Ner New York Times.
- Roberta Smith (August 2, 2012), ‘Idea Is the Object’ New York Times.