12 April 1978 |
|Occupations||Bassist, Musician, producer, Antique dealer, photographer|
|Instruments||bass guitar, double bass, cello, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, vocals, mandolin, piano, keyboards, drums, trumpet, french horn, santoor, percussion, yangqin|
|Associated acts||Coldplay, Apparatjik|
|Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Guy Rupert Berryman (born 12 April 1978, in Kirkcaldy, Scotland) is a Scottish musician, multi-instrumentalist and producer, best known as the bassist for the groups Coldplay and Apparatjik. Berryman is left-handed but plays the bass right-handed.
Berryman started an engineering degree at University College London (UCL). Soon after, he dropped out of his engineering course and switched to a seven-year architecture program at The Bartlett (UCL's school of architecture). He dropped out of his architecture degree after one year to focus on playing bass with Coldplay. While his bandmates were still continuing their degrees, Berryman worked as a barman in a local London pub.
Personal life 
Berryman was educated at an independent school in Scotland, The Edinburgh Academy, and Kent, at Kent College Canterbury, before attending University College London. In 2004, Berryman married Joanna, his childhood sweetheart, in a low key ceremony in the City of Westminster. They have one daughter, Nico, born on 17 September 2006. In March 2007, Coldplay's spokesman confirmed that Guy and Joanna separated after three years of marriage. They are now divorced, but see each other frequently for the wellbeing of their daughter Nico.
Berryman used to run a clothing shop called Jezebell in London, which has closed due to debt with running the business. The opening of the store was attended by bandmates Jonny Buckland and Will Champion, and their partners.
Berryman is an avid marathon runner and likes to run in the nearest parks or around the neighbourhoods of the hotels whenever the band is touring. He also has an interest in photography, fashion and electronic gadgets. He is a fan of his local football team Raith Rovers F.C.
Berryman owns a vintage retro style juke box and collects Motown and Stax 7" singles to play on it. He jokes that he knows "every secondhand vinyl shop in every major U.S. city". Berryman once said to have been starstruck by the late James Brown in concert.
According to an article released by MSN UK in April 2008, Berryman has an estimated wealth of £25 million.
On 7 June 2010, The Sun reported that Berryman and his brother Mark would be forming a company for antiques.
Other musical projects 
In 2008, Berryman participated to the Movie Soundtheme of Umi no Shanghai. He also played the bass guitar in Furuholmen's A Dot of Black in the Blue of Your Bliss.
In the same year he collaborated with Magne Furuholmen, Jonas Bjerre (of Mew) and Martin Terefe under the band name of Apparatjik for the theme to the BBC2 series, Amazon. The theme is available along with exclusive tracks from various other artists on the Survival International charity album, Songs for Survival. Apparatjik has recently announced on their Twitter and Facebook pages that a new track called "Electric Eye" will be available on 30 November, as a free download on their website. Apparatjik made their very first live performance at the eleventh edition of club transmediale, an annual festival in Berlin, due to take place between 28 January and 7 February 2010. This first ever performance of Apparatjik took place inside a specially constructed cube at the WMF on Monday, 1 February 2010. On the same day, they released of their debut album, titled We Are Here.
Non-musical credits 
See also 
- Roach, Martin (2003). Coldplay: Nobody Said It Was Easy. Location unknown:Omnibus Press, 18. ISBN 0-7119-9810-8
- Scaggs, Austin; Corbijn, Anton (2005-08-25), "COLDPLAY'S QUIET STORM". "THE HANDSOME ONE" Rolling Stone. (981):40-46
- Killkelly, Daniel (12 May 2007). "Coldplay star splits from wife". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2008-07-11.
- Montgomery, James (2 October 2006). "No Five-Year Hiatus For Coldplay — But They Are Taking A Break". MTV News (mtv.com (MTV Networks)). Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- "Coldplay to take hiatus?". Ireland On-Line. 2 October 2006. Retrieved 2008-07-11.
- Taylor, Chris (12 May 2007). "Coldplay Star Splits With Wife". Entertainment Wise. Retrieved 2008-07-11. "Coldplay bassist Guy Berryman has split from his childhood sweetheart wife Joanna just six months after the birth of their first child."
- 4 - Guy Berryman, £25 million - Salary centre[dead link]
- "Guys oldplay". The Sun (London). 7 June 2010.
- "A-Ha Guy's an Eighties baby". The Sun (London). 18 September 2008. Retrieved 14 March 2010. "COLDPLAY bassist GUY BERRYMAN has formed an offshoot new band with his musical hero, guitarist MAGNE FURUHOLMEN of Eighties pop champs A-HA."
- "Coldplay and A-ha team up". Teletext. Retrieved 2008-08-22.
- [dead link]
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Guy Berryman|
- Coldplay's official website
- Apparatjik's Official website (Curated by the supergroup themselves, designed by Aspire Design Studios)