Delisle at the 2009 Brooklyn Book Festival.
January 19, 1966
Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
A Journey in North Korea
Guy Delisle (born January 19, 1966) is a cartoonist and animator from Quebec City, Quebec, Canada, best known for his graphic novels about his travels, such as Shenzhen (2000), Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea (2003), Burma Chronicles (2007), and Jerusalem (2011).
Delisle studied animation at Sheridan College in Oakville, near Toronto, and then worked for the animation studio CinéGroupe in Montreal. He later worked for different studios in Canada, Germany, France, China and North Korea. His experiences as a supervisor of animation work by studios in Asia were recounted in two graphic novels, Shenzhen (2000) and Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea (2003). The two books, Delisle's most famous work, were first published in French by the independent bande dessinée publisher L'Association. They have been translated into many languages, including English, German, Italian, Polish, Czech, Spanish, Portuguese and Finnish.
Delisle is married to a Médecins Sans Frontières administrator. With her, he made a trip to Myanmar (Burma) in 2005, which is recounted in Chroniques Birmanes (2007), translated into English as Burma Chronicles.
In the summer of 2009, they completed a one year stay in Jerusalem, again with Médecins Sans Frontières. This stay was recounted in Chroniques de Jérusalem (2011) which won the Angoulême International Comics Festival Prize for Best Album in 2012. Amongst other things it covered the Gaza War. In France, Chroniques de Jerusalem (English title: Jerusalem) was a best-seller.
- Réflexion (L'Association, paperback, October 1996, ISBN 978-2909020723)
- Aline et les autres (L'Association, paperback, April 1999, ISBN 978-2844140159)
- Shenzhen (L'Association, paperback, April 2000, ISBN 978-2844140357)
- Inspecteur Moroni 1 : Premiers pas (Dargaud, paperback, March 2001, ISBN 978-2205050813)
- Albert et les autres (L'Association, paperback, June 2001, ISBN 978-2844140746)
- Inspecteur Moroni 2 : Avec ou sans sucre (Dargaud, paperback, April 2002, ISBN 978-2205052565)
- Comment ne rien faire (La Pastèque, paperback, August 2002, ISBN 978-2922585094; hardcover, November 2007, ISBN 978-2922585490)
- Pyongyang (L'Association, paperback, June 2003, ISBN 978-2844141132)
- Inspecteur Moroni 3 : Le Syndrome de Stockholm (Dargaud, paperback, July 2004, ISBN 978-2205055511)
- Louis au ski (Delcourt, paperback, November 2005, ISBN 978-2847899702)
- Chroniques birmanes (Delcourt, paperback, November 2007, ISBN 978-2756009339)
- Louis à la plage (Delcourt, paperback, August 2008, ISBN 978-2756014586)
- Chroniques de Jérusalem (Delcourt, paperback, November 2011, ISBN 978-2756025698)
- Le guide du mauvais père tome 1 (Delcourt, paperback, January 2013, ISBN 978-2756038735)
- Le guide du mauvais père tome 2 (Delcourt, paperback, January 2014, ISBN 978-2756047775)
- Le guide du mauvais père tome 3 (Delcourt, paperback, January 2015, ISBN 978-2756066479)
English language translations
- Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea (Drawn and Quarterly, hardcover, September 2005, ISBN 978-1896597898; paperback, May 2007, ISBN 978-1897299210)
- Shenzhen: A Travelogue from China (Drawn and Quarterly, hardcover, October 2006, ISBN 978-1894937795; paperback, April 2012, ISBN 978-1770460799)
- Aline and the Others (Drawn and Quarterly, paperback, December 2006, ISBN 978-1897299128)
- Albert and the Others (Drawn and Quarterly, paperback, February 2008, ISBN 978-1897299272)
- Burma Chronicles (Drawn and Quarterly, hardcover, September 2008, ISBN 978-1897299500; paperback, September 2010, ISBN 978-1770460256)
- Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City (Drawn and Quarterly, hardcover, April 2012, ISBN 978-1770460713; paperback, March 2015, ISBN 978-1770461765)
- A User's Guide to Neglectful Parenting (Drawn and Quarterly, paperback, June 2013, ISBN 978-1770461178)
- Even More Bad Parenting Advice (Drawn and Quarterly, paperback, August 2014, ISBN 978-1770461673)
- Rogue statements: Guy Delisle's behind-the-scenes account of life in North Korea's capital almost didn't see the light of day, J. Kelly Nestruck, National Post, September 07, 2005.
- Chroniques Birmanes - (Delisle / Delisle) - Romans Graphiques [BDnet.com]
- Guy Delisle sips snake bladders in Shenzhen - Interview with Guy Delisle. My New Chinese Love. September 2009.
- La Presse Canadienne (2012-01-29). "Angoulême récompense le bédéiste québécois Guy Délisle" (in French). La Presse. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- Eva Blum Dumontet (February 23, 2012). "The graphic complexity of Israel, through the eyes of a cartoonist". Haaretz. Retrieved March 27, 2012.
- Official website (French)
- Page at Drawn & Quarterly
- Intervalles Shenzhen Pyongyang, exposition on Delisle's work for French-speaking audiences, scenography by Bekir Aysan.
- Pyongyang Too, a photographic recreation of Delisle's graphic novel by Andy Deemer and Michelle Woo.