Demel playing for Ivory Coast in 2010.
|Full name||Guy Roland Demel|
|Date of birth||13 June 1981|
|Place of birth||Orsay, France|
|Height||1.89 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Right back|
|West Ham United|
|2001–2005||Borussia Dortmund II||40||(9)|
|2011–||West Ham United||71||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 05:12, 17 August 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Orsay, Paris, Demel started his professional career in the French Ligue 2 with Nîmes Olympique. He was signed by Arsenal spending one season in London without making a first team appearance before being transferred to Borussia Dortmund. He made his Bundesliga debut in 2003 winning the Bundesliga and making UEFA Cup Final in his first season. Demel left Dortmund to join Hamburg in 2005, after struggling to hold down a first team place.
Demel was released by Hamburg at the expiry of his contract in 2011. He made 199 appearances for Hamburg including 52 in European football in the UEFA Cup, UEFA Europa League and the 2006–07 UEFA Champions League, scoring four goals.
West Ham United
He signed a two-year deal, with the option of a third, with West Ham on 31 August 2011. Due to injuries it was not until 29 November 2011, in a 2–0 away win against Middlesbrough, that Demel made his West Ham United debut. On 23 January 2013, Demel extended his contract with West Ham until 2015. Demel scored his first West Ham goal in a 2–1 home defeat by Liverpool on 6 April 2014. After West Ham striker, Andy Carroll challenged Liverpool goalkeeper, Simon Mignolet, the goalkeeper dropped the ball and Demel scored from three yards out.
In 2004, Demel, a French citizen, acquired an Ivorian passport. He has since been selected for the national team, playing at the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations, and being named to the squad for the 2006 and 2010 World Cup finals. Demel announced his retirement from international football on 6 December 2012 confirming his wish to focus on his club career with West Ham United.
- Hamburger SV
- West Ham United
- "Premier League Clubs submit Squad Lists" (PDF). Premier League. 1 February 2013. p. 39. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "Guy Demel Player Profile". www.whufc.com. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- "Hamburg snap up Demel". Sky Sports. 28 June 2005. Retrieved 19 June 2008.
- "Demel delight at new deal". Sky Sports. 4 May 2006. Retrieved 19 June 2008.
- "Hammers land Demel". Sky Sports. 31 August 2011. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Middlesbrough 0 - 2 West Ham". BBC Sport. Retrieved 30 November 2011.
- Twomey, Liam (23 January 2013). "Demel signs new West Ham deal". Goal.com. Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- "West Ham 1-2 Liverpool". BBC Sport. 6 April 2014. Retrieved 7 April 2014.
- "West Ham defender Guy Demel confirms he has retired from international football". www1.skysports.com. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- Guy Demel career stats at Soccerbase
- Guy Demel at fussballdaten.de (German)
- Guy Demel at National-Football-Teams.com