Nason received his BSc from the University of Bath in 1988, a diploma in Mathematical Statistics from the University of Cambridge in 1989 is PhD in Statistics from the University of Bath in 1992. He served as a Council member of the Royal Statistical Society (2004–08) and is a member of the EPSRC Strategic Advisory Team for Mathematics. He was an EPSRC Advanced Research Fellow during 2000–5. He took over the post as head of mathematics at Bristol from Stephen Wiggins in 2008.
He has served as the Secretary of the RSS Research Section (2002–04), associate editor for the Journal of the RSS, Series B, Computational Statistics and Statistica Sinica and is currently an associate editor for Biometrika.
Nason's book Wavelet Methods in Statistics with R (Springer, 2008, ISBN 978-0-387-75960-9) describes methods of performing statistical analysis with wavelets using the R software environment for statistical computing and the author's WaveThresh package for wavelet analysis within R. The book's topics include shrinkage, smoothing and density estimation, multiresolution analysis and time series analysis, and variance stabilization. R code interspersed throughout the text allows readers to try out the methods it describes, and to apply these methods to their own data.
Awards and honours
- Editorial Board, Biometrika. Accessed September 5, 2011
- G. P. Nason & R. von Sachs "Wavelets in Time Series Analysis" Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London A, 1999, 357, 2511–2526
- G.P. Nason, R von Sachs & G Kroisandt "Wavelet processes and adaptive estimation of the evolutionary wavelet spectrum." Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B, 2000, 62, 271–292
- G. P. Nason "Wavelet Methods in Statistics with R (Use R), Springer-Verlag, ISBN 0-387-75960-3
- Review by Efstathios Paparoditis (2009), Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A (Statistics in Society) 173 (1): 273, doi:10.1111/j.1467-985X.2009.00624_7.x.
- Review by C. M. O'Brien (2009), International Statistical Review 77 (1): 159, doi:10.1111/j.1751-5823.2009.00074_15.x.
- Review by R. Webster and R. M. Lark (2011), Mathematical Geosciences 43 (2): 261–263, doi:10.1007/s11004-011-9320-2.
- Abstracts and speaker biographies, Graybill Conference, June 11–13, 2006, Colorado State University. Accessed August 15, 2011
- Previous award recipients, Royal Statistical Society . Accessed August 15, 2011
- Professor Nason's homepage at Bristol 
- University of Bristol, Department of Mathematics homepage