|Municipality and Settlement|
|Općina Gvozd / Naselje Vrginmost|
Map of the municipality within Sisak-Moslavina County
|• Municipal mayor||Branko Jovičić (SDSS)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Gvozd is a municipality in Sisak-Moslavina County, Croatia. The seat of municipality is located in Vrginmost, which was also named Gvozd between 1996 and 2012, when it was renamed amid a political controversy.
Languages and names
On the territory of the municipality, along with Croatian which is official in the whole country, as a second official language has been introduced Serbian language and Serbian Cyrillic alphabet. In Serbian the village is known as Гвозд.
The town of Vrginmost was officially known as Gvozd between 1996 and October 23, 2012.
- Blatuša, population 171
- Bović, population 91
- Brnjavac, population 93
- Crevarska Strana, population 161
- Čremušnica, population 103
- Dugo Selo Lasinjsko, population 46
- Golinja, population 38
- Gornja Čemernica, population 142
- Gornja Trstenica, population 88
- Kirin, population 52
- Kozarac, population 122
- Ostrožin, population 32
- Pješčanica, population 161
- Podgorje, population 150
- Slavsko Polje, population 338
- Stipan, population 50
- Šljivovac, population 32
- Trepča, population 5
- Vrginmost (Gvozd at the time of census), population 1,095
The municipality had big population changes in various censuses, possibly because of war and because of frequent border changes of municipalities in Croatia.
- In the 2001 census there were 3,779 people in the municipality, 58% which are Serb and 40% which are Croats. 3,575 declared their mother tongue as Croatian, 155 as Serbian, and 49 as other languages.
Notable natives and residents
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (October 2013)|
- "Population by Age and Sex, by Settlements, 2011 Census: Gvozd". Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. December 2012.
- "Promijenili ime Gvozda u - Vrginmost" (in Croatian). Nova TV (Croatia). Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- Izvješće o provođenju ustavnog zakona o pravima nacionalnih manjina i o utošku sredstava osiguranih u državnom proračunu Republike Hrvatske za 2008. godinu za potrebe nacionalnih manjina, Zagreb, 2009.
- 'Croatian mayor sees U.S. holiday first-hand Visitor from war-torn nation enjoys feast and festivities' Daily Herald, 29 November 2002
- Population by Nationality, By City/Municipality, 2001 Census
- Population by Mother Tongue, By City/Municipality, 2001 Census