Institute of Hán-Nôm Studies
The Institute of Hán-Nôm Studies, or Hán Nôm Institute (Vietnamese: Viện Hán-Nôm) in Hanoi, Vietnam is the main research centre, historical archival agency and reference library for the study of chữ Hán and chữ Nôm texts in Vietnam. These are texts predating the adoption of the modern Latin-based Vietnamese alphabet.
The original nucleus of this agency was the Department of Hán and Nôm founded in 1970 and later elevated to institute status as of 1979. The ink rubbing collections which were holdings of the National Library of Vietnam were transfered to the Institute of Hán-Nôm Studies in 1984-1986. The Institute sets out with two goals: the preservation of historical Hán and Nôm texts, and conduct systemic linguistic, literary and historical research on these holdings.
The term Hán Nôm (漢喃) in Vietnamese, designates the whole corpus of premodern written materials, both in Hán (classical Chinese used in Vietnam) and Nôm (the vernacular logographic Vietnamese script).
- Nhung Tuyet Tran, Anthony Reid Việt Nam: Borderless Histories 2006 - Page 141 "The version of the Lê Code used in this essay can be found at the Institute of Hán-Nôm Studies."
- Nong Van Dan, Churchill, Eden and Indo-China, 1951-1955 2011 Page xix "the Institute of Hán-Nôm Studies"
- National Center for Social Sciences and Humanities of Vietnam (NCSSH).2000 - Page 32 "The former organization of the Institute of Han-Nom Studies was the department of Han-Nom, established in 1970. In 1979, the department became the Institute of Han-Nom studies and this was reconfirmed on May 22, 1993."
- Thư mục thác bản văn khắc Hán Nôm Việt Nam Khá̆c Mạnh Trịnh, Lan Anh Vũ, Viện nghiên cứu Hán Nôm (Vietnam) - 2007- Volume 1 - Page 28 "For this reason, in 1970-1975, the Hán-Nôm Committee, an agency of the Vietnamese Committee of Social Sciences, got down to ... After the collection was transferred from the Central Library to the Institute of Hán-Nôm Studies, in 1984-1986, this institute ... Finally, in 1988-1990, the Specialists of the Institute of Hán-Nôm Studies launched the first programme for the treatment of the rubbings, which resulted in the production of the Catalogue of Rubbings of Vietnamese Inscription (Danh mục thác"
- Viet Nam social sciences Ủy ban khoa học xã hội Việt Nam - 2008 - No 1-3 - Page 2 "As you may know, the Institute of Han-Nom Studies performs multiple functions of preserving, researching and bringing into full play the values of Han-Nom heritage."
- Asian research trends: a humanities and social science review - No 8 to 10 - Page 140 Yunesuko Higashi Ajia Bunka Kenkyū Sentā (Tokyo, Japan) - 1998 "Most of the source materials from premodern Vietnam are written in Chinese, obviously using Chinese characters; however, a portion of the literary genre is written in Vietnamese, using chu nom. Therefore, han nom is the term designating the whole body of premodern written materials.."
- Liam C. Kelley Beyond the bronze pillars: envoy poetry and the Sino-Vietnamese ... - 2005 Page 215 "For more on these texts, see Tran Van Giap, Tim hieu kho sack Han Norn, Tap I [Investigating the treasury of books in Han and Nom] (Hanoi: Thu vien Quoc gia, 1970), 196-198, and Tran Van Giap, Tim hieu kho sack Han Nom, Tap II, 229-230, "