Héctor Miguel Herrera
Herrera in 2013
|Full name||Héctor Miguel Herrera López|
|Date of birth||19 April 1990|
|Place of birth||Rosarito, Mexico|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Central midfielder|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10 May 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Héctor Miguel Herrera López (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈektor miˈɣel eˈreɾa]; born 19 April 1990) is a Mexican footballer who currently plays as a central midfielder for Porto and the Mexico national team.
- 1 Club career
- 2 International career
- 3 Career statistics
- 4 Style of play
- 5 Honours
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Herrera made his league debut for Pachuca in a 1–4 defeat to Santos Laguna on 23 July 2011. He would make 14 appearances for Pachuca en route to winning the Golden Ball as the rookie of the Apertura 2011 tournament.
On 28 June 2013 it was announced Herrera was transferred to Portuguese club Porto for €8 million. Héctor Herrera made his unofficial debut with Porto on 13 July 2013 in the final of the Valais Cup against French team Olympique de Marseille, coming on as a substitute in the 60th minute of the game for Fernando. Mexican teammate Diego Reyes also made his debut with Porto in the 3–0 win. He made his official league debut on 18 August, coming on for Lucho González in the 82nd minute in Porto's 3–1 victory over Vitória Setúbal. On 6 October, Herrera played his first ninety minutes in Porto's 3–1 away win over Arouca.
On 20 December Herrera scored his first league goal with Porto in a 4–0 win against Olhanense. The goal was a volley scored after being on the pitch eight minutes after coming on as a substitute.
On 20 August, Herrera scored his first goal in Champions League play in Porto's 1–0 win over Lille.
2012 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament
In 2012 Herrera was chosen by coach Luis Fernando Tena to participate in the 2012 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament held in the United States. Mexico went on to win the tournament by defeating Honduras in the final, thus qualifying to the 2012 Olympic Games held in London, England.
2012 Toulon Tournament
2012 London Olympics
Mexico national team
2014 World Cup Qualifiers
Herrera was called up by José Manuel de la Torre to play for Mexico in the World Cup qualifiers against Guyana on 12 October and El Salvador on 16 October. Héctor Herrera made his senior national team debut against El Salvador, with the match ending in a 2–0 win for Mexico. He appeared in more World Cup qualifying matches struggling to get minutes since coach Jose Manuel de la Torre did not have much confidence on Herrera. Herrera would play 5 World Cup qualifying matches only winning the match against El Salvador in his international debut, the rest tying or losing. Herrera was not called up by coach Miguel Herrera for the Intercontinental Play-off versus New Zealand due to the fact that Miguel Herrera used an entire domestic league squad against New Zealand while Hector played in Portugal with FC Porto.
2013 Confederations Cup
Herrera was part of the Mexican team that participated in the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup held in Brazil. He only made one appearance against Host Nation Brazil coming in for Gerardo Flores in the 58' minute of the game, Hector received a yellow card in the 89' minute. Mexico would go on to lose the match to the eventual champions Brazil 2-0.
2014 FIFA World Cup
On May 8, 2014 Hector Herrera was included in Miguel Herrera's final 23 man roster participating in the 2014 FIFA World Cup held in Brazil. Hector was a starter in all of Mexico's 3 group Stage matches Against Cameroon, Brazil, and Croatia playing as a Right Center Midfielder in all 3 matches. Hector Herrera made his world cup debut starting against Cameroon June 13, 2014 in the Arena das Dunas in Natal, Brazil disputing all 90' minutes and provided 40 completed passes and one shot on goal in his first world cup match. Hector again started against host nation Brazil, He made important passes and made 2 shots on target from a far distance almost netting inside goal. the match ended in a historical 0-0 tie for the Mexicans. Herrera made his final group stage appearance against Croatia, he had 2 shots on target with the first one almost going in scoring his first goal with the national team unfortunately it hit the top post. He provided an assist for Rafael Marquez's goal. Mexico won the Match 3-1 and advanced to the second round playing against Netherlands.
|Mexico||League||Copa MX||North America||Total|
|Apertura 2011||Pachuca||Liga MX||14||0||-||-||14||0|
|Portugal||League||Taça de Portugal||Europe||Total|
Senior International appearances
- As of 29 June 2014 
U-23 International goals
|1.||30 May 2012||Parc des Sports, Avignon, France||Netherlands||1–1||4–2||2012 Toulon Tournament|
|2.||4 August 2012||Wembley Stadium, London, England||Senegal||4–2||4–2||2012 Summer Olympics|
Style of play
Herrera is known as a "classic box-to-box midfielder who is equally adept at halting advances from opposing players as he is creating opportunities by distributing the ball or shooting on goal."
- Mexico U23
- CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifying Tournament (1): 2012
- Toulon Tournament (1): 2012
- Olympic Games (1): 2012
- Cortés, Constancio (10 April 2012). "Miguel Herrera, un Zorro cabal" [Miguel Herrera, a full Fox] (in Spanish). El Sol de Hidalgo.
- "Mauro Cejas, orgulloso por el Preolímpico de Héctor Herrera" [Mauro Cejas, proud of the Olympic qualifying tournament of Héctor Herrera] (in Spanish). Diario del Toluca. 3 April 2012.
- Lindoro, Alex (15 January 2012). "Héctor Herrera, ilusionado con ganar el Balón de Oro" [Héctor Herrera excited about winning the Golden Bal] (in Spanish). Récord.
- "Herrera firmó con el Porto por 8 mde". Medio Tiempo. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Hulk breaks Porto hearts as Zenit win on his return". Reuters. 23 October 2013. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- "Champions League: Hector Herrera leads Porto past Lille". Terra. Retrieved 2014-08-20.
- "Héctor Miguel Herrera de Rosarito BC, es elegido mejor jugador en torneo de Toulon" [Héctor Miguel Herrera of Rosarito BC, is named best player of the Toulon tournament] (in Spanish). Informa Uniradio. 1 June 2012.
- "Hector Herrera's Senior International Caps".
- "Hector Herrera's U-23 International Caps".
- "Hector Herrera's U-23 International Goals".
- Gomez, Eric. "Eric Gomez: Meet Hector Herrera, Mexico's $16 million midfielder". Goal.com. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Profile
- Héctor Miguel Herrera at National-Football-Teams.com
- Héctor Miguel Herrera – FIFA competition record
- Héctor Herrera Goal.com profile