Héctor Olivera (baseball)
Los Angeles Dodgers
|Born:April 5, 1985|
|Competitor for Cuba|
|Silver||2008 Beijing||National team|
|Baseball World Cup|
|Silver||2007 Taipei||National team|
|Silver||2009 Nettuno||National team|
|Gold||2010 Taichung||National team|
|Pan American Games|
|Bronze||2011 Guadalajara||National team|
Héctor Olivera (born April 5, 1985) is a Cuban baseball player in the Los Angeles Dodgers organization. He was part of the Cuban team which won a silver medal at the 2008 Summer Olympics. He plays second base.
Olivera played for the Santiago de Cuba team in the Cuban National Series from 2003 through 2014 and hit .323 with 96 home runs and 433 runs batted in for them. He missed the entire 2012-13 season due to a blood disorder, which also limited him defensively during the 2013-14 season.
In addition, he played for the Cuba national baseball team at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, 2007 and 2009 Baseball World Cups, the 2010 Intercontinental Cup, the 2011 Pan American Games and the 2009 World Baseball Classic.
Olivera defected from Cuba in September 2014, to pursue a career in Major League Baseball, establishing his residence in Haiti. His potential drew many scouts to his showcase in the Dominican Republic, where he was said to be in good physical condition with a quick bat and above average power.
On March 24, 2015, he signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers for six years and $62.5 million, including a $28 million signing bonus. His contract also reportedly includes a clause that would allow the Dodgers to add on a seventh year for $1 million if Olivera requires Tommy John surgery. This clause was the result of several MRIs that showed Olivera had a minor UCL tear. 
- "South Korea beats Cuba, finishes Olympic tourney unbeaten". ESPN. August 23, 2008. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
- "Hector Olivera minor league statistics & History". Baseball Reference.
- Badler, Ben (January 26, 2015). "Hector Olivera Showcase Report". Baseball America. Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- Hector Olivera Leaves Cuba
- Escapa de Cuba el estelar pelotero Héctor Olivera
- Sanchez, Jesse (March 24, 2015). "Dodgers land Cuban second baseman Olivera for six years". mlb.com.
- Wise, Brandon (March 25, 2015). "Report: Dodgers infielder Hector Olivera has slight tear in UCL". CBS Sports. Retrieved March 25, 2015.