H. Lawrence Hoffman
H. Lawrence Hoffman was a commercial illustrator who worked in New York City. He illustrated book covers for publishing companies, including Pocket Books, Popular Library, Ballantine, and Random House. Hoffman designed (along with Sol Immerman) the first 125 paperback covers for Popular Library. Except for about 5 numbers, Hoffman created the first 86 of these early covers entirely himself.
Father to David Hoffman, filmmaker.
- Beyond the Barriers of Space and Time by Judith Merril, hard cover, Random House; 1st edition (November 1, 1954)
- Father Marquette and the Great Rivers by August Derleth, Vision Books, 1955
- Governor All Smith by James A. Farley and James C. G. Conniff, Vision Book, Farrar, Straus & Cudahy, New York, 1959
- More champions in sports and spirit by Ed Fitzgerald (1919-2001)(sports writer, editor Sport magazine), Farrar, Straus and Cudahy, 1959
- The Canterbury tales of Geoffrey Chaucer : a new modern English prose translation, translated by R.M. Lumiansky, Hoffman, Washington Square Press, 1960, 1967
- The Building Book: About Houses the World Over by Evelyn E. Smith, Howell Soskin publishers, New York, 1972
H. Lawrence Hoffman illustrated the covers of the following books:
- The Pocket Book of Dog Stories, by Harold Berman (editor); MacKinley Kantor (introduction), Pocket Books, Inc., 1942
- Criminal Library C.O.D. by Phoebe Atwood Taylor aka Alice Tilton, Popular Library 14, 1943
- Murder in Shinbone Alley by Helen Reilly, Popular Library # 20 1st Printing, 1943
- Mutiny on the Bounty (novel) by Charles Nordhoff and James Norman Hall, Pocket Books # 216, 1943
- McKee of Centre Street, by Helen Reilly, Popular Library paperback, 1944
- The House on the Roof, by Mignon G. Eberhart, Popular Library #17, 1944
- Mr. Pinkerton Has the Clue, by David Frome, Popular Library paperback, 1944
- The Happy Highwayman, by Leslie Charteris, Pocket Books paperback (No. 272), January 1945
- Challenge for Three by David Garth, Popular Library # 84, 1945
- Sing a Song of Homicide, by James R. Langham, Popular Library paperback, 1945
- Murder in the Willett Family, by Rufus King, Popular Library paperback, 1945
- Sound of Revelry, by Octavius Roy Cohen, Popular Library, 1945
- The Smiler with the Knife, by Nicholas Blake, Popular Library paperback, 1945
- Timbal Gulch Trail, by Max Brand, Popular Library paperback, 1946
- Bucky Follows a Cold Trail, by William MacLeod Raine, Popular Library paperback, 1946
- Hasty Wedding, by Mignon G. Eberhart, Popular Library paperback, 1946
- Murder in Season, by Octavus Roy Cohen, Popular Library paperback, 1946
- Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier, Pocket Books Inc. paperback, 1946
- Drink to Yesterday by Mannining Coles, Bantam Books # 76, 1947
- Murder '97 by Frank Gruber, New York: Rinehart & Company / Murray Hill Mystery 1st Edition 1948
- City Boy: The Adventures of Herbie Bookbinder, by Herman Wouk, Simon & Schuster, 1948
- We Took to the Woods by Louise Dickinson Rich, Pocket Books, 1948
- Earth Abides, by George R. Stewart, Random House, 1949
- A Little Night Music by Mary Jane Ward, Random House, 1951
- The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, Pocket Books, 1952
- The Bridges at Toko-Ri by James A. Michener, 1953
- Bring 'em Back by Lillian Brown, Dodd, Mead & Co, N . Y., 1956
- Kill My Love, by Kyle Hunt, Simon and Schuster; [Book club ed.] edition (1958)
- RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT - 6th series by Robert L. Ripley, Pocket Books, 1959
- Now We Are Enemies: The Story of Bunker Hill by Thomas J. Flemming, St. Martin's Press, New York, 1960
- The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene, Compass Books / Viking Press, New York, 1961
- The News From Karachi by William Wood, Macmillan, New York, 1962
- Palace Under the Sea, by Elizabeth P. Heppner, Macmillan (1963)
- The Portable Russian Reader: A collection Newly Translated from Classical and Present-day Authors by Bernard Guilbert Guerney, The Viking Press., New York, 1964
- Operation Manhunt by Christopher Nicole, Holt Rinehart and Winston 1970
- Flight of Exiles by Ben Bova, E. P. Dutton & Co., New York, NY, 1972
- Schreuders, Piet (1981). Paperbacks, U.S.A., a Graphic History, 1939-1959. San Diego, CA: Blue Dolphin Enterprises. p. 208.
- Judith Merril. "Amazon.com: Beyond the Barriers of Space and Time". Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- Gordon R. Dickinson. "Amazon.com: Alien Art". Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- Kyle Hunt. "Amazon.com: Kill My Love". Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- Elizabeth P. Heppner. "Amazon.com: Palace Under the Sea". Retrieved 2010-12-29.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008)|