H2Overdrive is a powerboat arcade racing game developed by Specular Interactive and released in 2009 by Raw Thrills. It is considered a spiritual successor to Hydro Thunder. The game was also released in the People's Republic of China by UNIS (Universal Space).
Players race using powerboats with various levels of difficulty against other boats, as well as seven other players on nearby cabinets. During the races, players can run into crates that give them power-ups that can range from speed boosts to MegaHull and HullCrusher abilities, which can be used to destroy opposing boats. On the cabinet, a throttle is used to move the boat, instead of pedals. On the throttle, a red button is used to boost the boat. Unlike in Hydro Thunder, boats can now perform stunts, as well as various acrobatic maneuvers.
The game has a password entry system, which features a number keypad to store game data as the player progresses through the game, and achievements that the player unlocks are available, and players can increase their rank and level until it reaches the highest possible rank/level. The game is played on a 42" LCD screen.
The game was developed by Specular Interactive which consisted of former Midway San Diego employees, along with Hydro Thunder creator Steve Ranck. It was unveiled by Raw Thrills at the Amusement Trades Exhibition International in January 2009. The game is considered a spiritual successor to Hydro Thunder, and was originally named Hydro Thunder 2 before being renamed to its current name; Midway had been intending on creating a sequel to the game, but the plan would later be scrapped. An unrelated game by the same name was developed for the PlayStation 2 by Crave Entertainment in 2003, though the game was never released.
- "H2Overdrive". Specular Interactive. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "H2Overdrive - Videogame by Raw Thrills". Arcade-museum.com. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "H2Overdrive Arcade Machine - Driving Machines - Arcade Machines". Arcade-game-sales.com. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- Contact Michael McWhertor: Comment (2009-06-09). "New H2Overdrive Trailer Full Of Raw Thrills". Kotaku.com. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- Leone, Matt (2009-01-23). "H2Overdrive Preview for ARC from". 1UP.com. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "H2Overdrive™ Commissions First Fleet Admiral | Raw Thrills, Inc". Rawthrills.com. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "H2Overdrive - Racing Simulator and Interactive Driving Game Arcade for rent". Videoamusement.com. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "H2Overdrive - Arcade". IGN. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "Arcade Heroes – Getting to know Dirty Drivin’ and Specular Interactive". Arcade Heroes. 2011-09-08. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "Arcade Heroes – New boat racing game by Raw Thrills’ and the Hydro Thunder team to be at ATEI". Arcadeheroes.com. 2009-01-22. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- Posted by: (2009-01-23). "Hydro Thunder 2 renamed H2Overdrive as spiritual sequel". Videogamesblogger.com. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "H2Overdrive (2003) - PlayStation 2". IGN. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
|This arcade game-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This racing game-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|