|Slogan||“Life is in your hands”|
HAYTAP is an animal rights federation in Turkey (Turkish: Hayvan Hakları Federasyonu)( HAYTAP (help·info)). It is an animal rights organization and a federation of such organisations based in Istanbul, currently led by Ahmet Kemal Şenpolat.
HAYTAP unified all animal rights associations and organizations under one name. Created in 2008, HAYTAP raises awareness of the violation of animal rights. It reaches out to the Turkish Parliament through court trials, engages in training activities such as education programs in schools, and uses public relations to spread its message.
HAYTAP's main lobbying concern is to change the laws in Turkey regarding cruelty to animals. It believes that the present law, Animal Protection Law No.5199, does not provide for strong enough punishment for animal abusers. Under Turkey's law no 5199, cruelty to animals is considered a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine, with no jail time and no mark on one's criminal record. 
HAYTAP resulted from the merger of five animal rights organizations in Turkey in July 2008 and the number of registered members has reached 21 associations, including one from Azerbaijan, and 61 representatives. It claims to be the largest and the best organised animal rights organization in Turkey.
HAYTAP raises public awareness of the violation of nature and animal rights, files suits regarding current abuses, is involved in training activities, conducts public relations exercises and tries to get laws applied in a better way. Its slogan is Life is in your hands.
HAYTAP rejects the idea of animals as property, and opposes the use of animals in any form: It is against raising animals for their furs, selling them as pets, hunting them and making them a trade commodity. It promotes a vegan diet.
HAYTAP opposes animal fighting, seal hunting, bullfighting and works to stop the use and abuse of animals in certain display contexts like zoos, circuses dolphinariums and roadside exhibits.
Through posters, HAYTAP attempts to draw public attention to animal rights issues like abandoned pets, street dogs and cats, roadkill, fur clothing, emotion in animals, anti-hunting and captive animals in zoos, circuses and dolphinariums.
HAYTAP advises municipalities and governments on legislation to improve animal rights. It met Turkish prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in February 2011 and obtained his commitment to take action regarding animal rights.
- “HAYTAP : Animal Rights Federation in Turkey”, HAYTAP, accessed November 8, 2012
- ANIMAL PROTECTION BILL LAW no 5199, HAYTAP, accessed December 7, 2012
- “Civil society skeptical about amendment to animal protection law”, Today’s Zaman,May 27, 2012
- “What is Haytap?” , HAYTAP, accessed November 8, 2012.
- “HAYTAP member associations, HAYTAP, accessed November 8, 2012.
- “ALLIANCE AND HAYTAP have had established a community.”, Alliance for the Protection of Animals, Baku-Azerbaijan, April 7, 2011
- “HAYTAP member representatives”, HAYTAP, accessed November 8, 2012
- “Turks won't give up their strays, activists say”, Today’s Zaman,October 21, 2012
- “CHP deputies propose animal rights draft law”, Hürriyet Daily News,February 3, 2012
- “Stray dogs are Turkey's own responsibility, says Füle”, Today’s Zaman,November 2, 2012
- “World Animal Day marked in Turkey with calls for law change”, Hürriyet Daily News,April 10, 2010
- “Turkey is determined to be more democratic and contemporary, Bagis says”, Cumhuriyet Portal in English, March 6, 2011
- “Right activists count down to criminalization of animal cruelty”, Today’s Zaman,March 25, 2012
- “Activists strip down in Istanbul to protest wearing animal furs”, Hürriyet Daily News,December 13, 2010
- “Turkey to see tighter laws for pet shops: minister”, Hürriyet Daily News,January 13, 2012
- Kadıköy Municipal Council bans pet sales in district, Today’s Zaman,December 5, 2009
- “Turtles wait in suitcase pending Turkish court decision”, Hürriyet Daily News,March 31, 2011
- “Vejetaryen Olmak İsteyenler İçin Bilgiler”, HAYTAP, accessed November 9, 2012
- “Tracking Chip For Dogs”, Sun Express News,November 29, 2011
- “Animal activists: Provide water to strays this summer”, Today’s Zaman,August 2, 2009
- “Haytap's Opinion Against Peta's Declaration”, HAYTAP, accessed November 8, 2012
- “Activists furious as dog freezes in shelter”, Hürriyet Daily News,January 16, 2012
- “Four dogs killed in attack on animal shelter”, Today’s Zaman,November 1, 2012
- “SAY “NO” TO ZOOS , AS WELL !”, HAYTAP, accessed November 12, 2012
- “Animal rights activists protest circuses”, Hürriyet Daily News,August 21, 2009
- “Activists to dive in protest of dolphin captivity across Turkey”, Today’s Zaman,July 9, 2010
- “Activists urge boycott of Turkish dolphinariums”, Hürriyet Daily News,August 1, 2010
- HAYTAP Posters, HAYTAP, accessed December 9, 2012
- “PM Erdoğan promises harsher punishment for animal cruelty”, Today’s Zaman,February 22, 2011
- “Turkey's PM urged to take measures on animal rights”, Hürriyet Daily News,February 21, 2011
- “Live and Let Live”, The New York Times blogs,October 4, 2012
- "The barbwires harm the animals", Sun Express News,August 24, 2012
- “Activists appeal to mayor to stop practice of dog-dumping”, Today’s Zaman,February 20, 2011
- “Lack of democracy, transparency are animals’ enemies, activists say”, Today’s Zaman,August 14, 2011
- “Mehmet Turgut calls for animal rights through photos”, Today’s Zaman,December 9, 2011
- “Stray dogs, cats poisoned in Adana, municipality blamed”, Today’s Zaman,May 29, 2011
- “Metal bands prepare to rock Ankara for animal rights”, Hürriyet Daily News,October 21, 2010
- “Animal groups win victory in pit bull ban row”, Today’s Zaman,July 4, 2010
- “Animal charm”, Today’s Zaman,October 1, 2012
- “Association for animal rights requests help”, Hürriyet Daily News,September 11, 2007
- HAYTAP homepage
- HAYTAP Facebook
- HAYTAP TV (video broadcasting platform)
- HAYTAP Management Board
- HAYTAP web English content
- What Did HAYTAP Do in 2011”
- HAYTAP short movie for “Do not Abandon Me” campaign
- HAYTAP’s Chairman of Board Ahmet Kemal Şenpolat interview on CNNTÜRK TV 2011 (Turkish Language)
- HAYTAP’s Vice President of Board Of Director Nesrin Çıtırık and HAYTAP's Honorary Member Prof.Dr.Tamer Dodurka interview on STAR TV 2012 (Turkish Language)
- HAYTAP’s Chairman of Board Ahmet Kemal Şenpolat and Turkish pop singer,actress and animal rights activist Yonca Evcimik interview on HABERTÜRK TV 2012 (Turkish Language)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to HAYTAP.|