2-car Resort View Furusato set at Shinano-Ōmachi Station, December 2010
|In service||October 2010–|
|Manufacturer||Niigata Transys, Tokyu Car Corporation|
|Family name||Resort Hybrid|
|Number built||10 vehicles (4 sets)|
|Number in service||10 vehicles (4 sets)|
|Formation||2/4 cars per set|
|Depot(s)||Akita, Aomori, Nagano|
|Line(s) served||Ōito Line, Tsugaru Line, Ōminato Line, Gonō Line|
|Car body construction||Stainless steel|
|Car length||20,600 mm (67 ft 7 in)|
|Width||2,920 mm (9 ft 7 in)|
|Height||3,620 mm (11 ft 11 in)|
|Doors||One per side|
|Maximum speed||100 km/h (60 mph)|
|Traction system||MT78 (95 kW) x2 (Series hybrid)|
|Prime mover(s)||DMF15HZB-G 6-cylinder engine x1 per car|
|Power output||331 kW|
|Bogies||DT75A (driving), TR260A (trailing)|
|Multiple working||KiHa E200|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
The HB-E300 series (HB-E300系?) is a hybrid diesel multiple unit (DMU) train type operated by East Japan Railway Company (JR East) on "resort train" services on scenic lines in Japan since October 2010.
The HB-E300 series is based on the KiHa E200 hybrid DMU type introduced on the Koumi Line in 2007. One 2-car train is used on the Ōito Line; two 2-car trains are used on the Tsugaru and Ōminato Lines; and one 4-car train is used on the Gonō Line, replacing the original KiHa 48 Resort Shirakami - Aoike DMU train.
The use of hybrid technology is designed to reduce fuel consumption by 10% compared with the existing Resort Shirakami trains, reduce NOx emissions by 60%, and reduce noise levels by 20 dB while idling at stations and by 30 dB when accelerating from standstill.
Seating in open saloon cars features reclining/rotating seating in 2+2 configuration with a seat pitch of 1,200 mm (47 in). The 4-car Resort Shirakami set includes compartment accommodation.
2-car Resort View Furusato
The 2-car train for the Ōito Line is branded Resort View Furusato (リゾートビューふるさと?). It was built by Tokyu Car Corporation in Yokohama, and delivered to Nagano in June 2010. The train entered revenue service on 2 October 2010.
2-car Resort Asunaro
The 2-car trains for the Tsugaru and Ōminato Lines are branded Resort Asunaro (リゾートあすなろ?), named after Aomori's prefectural tree, known as Asunaro in Japanese. They were built by Niigata Transys and were delivered to JR East's Aomori Depot in September 2010, entering service from 4 December 2010, coinciding with the opening of the Tōhoku Shinkansen extension to Shin-Aomori.
4-car Resort Shirakami - Aoike
The 4-car Resort Shirakami - Aoike train for use on the Gono Line was delivered from Tokyu Car's Yokohama factory to JR East's Akita Depot in September 2010. It entered service from 4 December 2010.
- "JR東日本で新型リゾートトレインを投入" [JR East to Introduce New Resort Trains] (in Japanese). Neko Publishing. 3 February 2009. Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- "JR東日本 HB-E300系 "リゾートビューふるさと"" [JR East HB-E300 series "Resort View Furusato"]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun) 39 (316): p.70–71. August 2010.
- "JR東日本 新型リゾートトレインの愛称を決定" [JR East announces brand name for new Resort Train]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun) 39 (314): p.73. June 2010.
- "JR東日本 津軽線・大湊線用HB-E300系の愛称を決定" [JR East announces brand name for Tsugaru & Ōminato Line HB-E300 series]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun) 39 (315): p.73. July 2010.
- "ハイブリッドシステムを搭載した新型リゾートトレインを導入！" [New Hybrid Resort Trains to be Introduced] (PDF) (in Japanese). JR East. 3 February 2009. Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- "新形リゾートトレインが東急車輌から出場" [New Resort Train delivered from Tokyu Car]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Koyusha Co., Ltd. 4 June 2010. Retrieved 4 June 2010.
- "HB-E300系「リゾートビューふるさと」が営業運転を開始" [HB-E300 series "Resort View Furusato" enters service]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Koyusha Co., Ltd. 4 October 2010. Retrieved 4 October 2010.
- "HB-E300系" [HB-E300 Series]. Japan Railfan Magazine (Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd.) 50 (593): p.61–66. September 2010.
- "甲種鉄道車両輸送計画表 " [New rolling stock delivery schedules]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun) 39 (317): p.125. September 2010.
- "ＪＲがリゾート新型車両を公開 青森、秋田走るしらかみ" [JR unveils new resort train "Shirakami" linking Aomori and Akita]. 47 News (in Japanese). Japan: Press Net Japan Co., Ltd. 24 September 2010. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to HB-E300 series.|
- JR East press release announcing Resort View Furusato (Japanese)
- JR East HB-E300 series (Japan Railfan Magazine) (Japanese)