||An automated process has detected links on this page on the local or global blacklist.|
"We understand your world"
|Traded as||BSE: 500180
BSE SENSEX Constituent
CNX Nifty Constituent
|Industry||Banking, Financial services|
|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra India|
|Aditya Puri (MD)|
|Products||Credit cards, consumer banking, corporate banking, finance and insurance, investment banking, mortgage loans, private banking, private equity, wealth management|
|Revenue||US$ 6.5 billion (March 2013)|
|US$ 1.87 billion (March 2013)|
|Profit||US$ 1.1 billion (March 2013)|
|Total assets||US$ 66.7 billion (May 2013)|
|Total equity||US$ 8.6 billion (March 2013)|
Number of employees
|69,065 (March 2013)|
HDFC Bank Limited is an Indian banking and financial services company headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It is the fifth largest bank in India by assets, incorporated in 1994. It is the largest private sector bank in India by market capitalization as of 24 February 2014. As on Jan 2 2014, the market cap value of HDFC was around US$26.88 billion, as compared to Credit Suisse Group with US$47.63 billion. The bank was promoted by the Housing Development Finance Corporation, a premier housing finance company (set up in 1977) of India. According to the Brand Trust Report 2014, HDFC was ranked 32nd among India's most trusted brands. HDFC was ranked 45th on the list of top 50 Banks in the world in terms of their market captialization.
As of 31 March 2013, the bank had assets of INR 4.08 trillion. For the fiscal year 2012-13, the bank has reported net profit of INR 69 billion, up 31% from the previous fiscal year. Its customer base stood at 28.7 million customers on 31 March 2013.
- 1 Products
- 2 Services
- 3 Operations
- 4 Listings and shareholding
- 5 Employees
- 6 CSR Activities
- 7 Awards and recognitions
- 8 Controversies
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
HDFC Bank offers the following core products:
Under NRI Banking, HDFC offers:
- Accounts & Deposits
- Money Transfer
- Investments & Insurance
- Research Reports
- Payment Services
Under SME Banking, HDFC offers:
- Accounts & Deposits
- Business Financing
- Trade Services
- Payments & Collections
HDFC offers Wholesale Banking for Corporates and Financial Institutions & Trusts. The Bank also provides services such as Investment Banking and other services in the Government sector.
Wholesale banking services
HDFC Bank provides a range of commercial and transactional banking services, including working capital finance, trade services, transactional services, cash management, etc. to large, small and mid-sized corporates and agriculture-based businesses in India. The bank is also a leading provider of these services to its corporate customers, mutual funds, stock exchange members and banks.
Retail banking services
HDFC Bank was the first bank in India to launch an International Debit Card in association with VISA (Visa Electron). The bank also issues the MasterCard Maestro debit card. The Bank launched its credit card business in late 2001. By the end of June 2013, it had a credit card base of 5.94 million. By March 2012, the bank had a total card base (debit and credit cards) of over 19.7 million. The Bank is also one of the leading players in the "merchant acquiring" business with over 240,000 point-of-sale (POS) terminals for debit / credit cards acceptance at merchant establishments. The Bank is positioned in various net based B2C opportunities including a wide range of Internet banking services for Fixed Deposits, Loans, Bill Payments, etc.
The bank has three main product areas - Foreign Exchange and Derivatives, Local Currency Money Market & Debt Securities, and Equities. These services are provided through the bank's Treasury team. To comply with statutory reserve requirements, the bank is required to hold 25% of its deposits in government securities. The Treasury business is responsible for managing the returns and market risk on this investment portfolio.
As of 30 September 2013, HDFC Bank has 3,251 branches and 11,177 ATMs, in 2,022 cities in India, and all branches of the bank are linked on an online real-time basis. The Bank has overseas branch operations in Bahrain and Hong Kong.
HDFC Bank has two subsidiaries:
HDB Financial Services Limited (‘HDBFS’): HDBFS is engaged in retail asset financing. It is a non-deposit taking non-bank finance company (NBFC). Apart from lending to individuals, the company grants loans to micro, small and medium business enterprises. It also runs call centers for collection services to the HDFC Bank’s retail loan products. HDFC Bank holds 97.4% shares in HDBFS. As of March 31, 2013, HDBFS has 230 branches in 184 cities. During the FY 2012-13, HDBFS had turnover of INR 9.6 billion and profit after tax of INR 1 billion. It has 6,404 employees as of 31 March 2013.
HDFC Securities Limited (‘HSL’): HSL is engaged in stock broking. As of March 31, 2013, HDBFS has 194 branches across 150 cities. HDFC Bank has 62.1% shareholding in HSL. During the FY 2012-13, HSL had turnover of INR 2.3 billion and profit after tax of INR 668 million. During the year, the Company received the “Best e-Brokerage Award - 2012” in the Outlook Money Awards in the runner up category.
The equity shares of HDFC Bank are listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange, where it is a constituent of the BSE SENSEX index, and the National Stock Exchange of India, where it is a constituent of the CNX Nifty. Its American Depositary Shares are listed on the NYSE. Its Global Depository Receipts (GDRs) are listed on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange where 2 GDRs represent one underlying equity share of HDFC Bank.
Shareholding: On 30 September 2013, the promoter group Housing Development Finance Corporation held 22.72% of its equity shares. 33.61% of the shares were owned by the Foreign Institutional Investors (FII). Around 428,000 individual public shareholders own approx. 8.43% of its shares. The remaining 35.24% shares are owned by others.
|Shareholders (as of 30-September-2013)||Shareholding|
|Promoter Group (HDFC)||22.72%|
|Foreign Institutional Investors (FII)||33.61%|
As of 31 March 2013, the company has 69,065 employees, out of which 12,295 are women (17.80%). In June 2013, the company reported an annual attrition rate of approx. 20%. During the financial year 2012-13, the company incurred INR 42 billion on employee benefit expenses.
HDFC Bank has taken several initiatives as part of its corporate social responsibility. It has collaborated with several NGOs to assist in its activities.
|Sustainable Livelihood||Provide livelihood finance to empower rural people, especially women at the bottom of the pyramid||Training for Occupation Skills
|Reached 20 lakh households across 24 states|
|Financial Literacy||Provide affordable access to basic banking products and services to excluded and underprivileged sections of the society||Literacy programs in schools
‘Power of Banking’ workshops
|600 government schools across Andhra Pradesh & Odisha in literacy programs
3365 students across 6 locations covered in workshops
|Education||Spread the importance of education by providing quality education to children||Galli School Project
Grow with Books
Child development program
Family based care programs
|A large number of students reached through various programs across the country|
|Training||Enhance employability of youth and women in the weaker sections of the society by providing training and capacity development||Skill-based courses
Technical & vocational training
Basic computer programming
Educational support for children
|More than 1500 youth benefitted through various programs across the country|
|Community||Enable economic growth and sustainable development through community building programs||Rain water harvesting programs
Setting up blood storage facilities
Construction of sanitation facilities in schools
Child Aid Foundation
|150 tribal girls benefitted through sanitation project
350 poor and needy children supported
1600+ children rescued
|Go Green||Take responsibility for the effects of the operations of the Bank on the environment and the society.||Promoting paperless banking
Multi-channel delivery (Internet, Mobile, Phone, ATM)
|As of Mar 2013, 82% of customer-initiated retail transactions direct banking channels, reducing the need to commute
66 lakh retail customers subscribed for e-statement
20 ATMs operating on clean energy
Awards and recognitions
|Outlook Money award 2013||Best Bank in Large Banks Category|||
|IBA Innovation Awards||Most Innovative Use of Technology|||
|Dun & Bradstreet Polaris Financial Technology Banking Award 2013||Best Private Sector Bank Technology Adoption
Best Private Sector Bank Retail
Overall Best Private Sector Bank
|Institutional Investor||Best Bank in Asia
Mr. Aditya Puri - Best CEO
|Forbes Asia||Fab 50 Companies List for the 7th year|||
|Sunday Standard Best Banker Awards||Best Private Sector Bank: Large
Safest Bank: Large
Mr. Aditya Puri: Top Achiever
|Asia Money 2013||Best Domestic Bank in India
Mr. Aditya Puri: Best Executive in India
|MACCIA Awards 2013||Best in Financial Services: Bank Category|||
|UTI Mutual Fund CNBC TV 18 Financial Advisory Awards 2012||Best Performing Bank - Private|||
|Dun & Bradstreet Corporate Awards 2012||Best in Banking sector|||
|NDTV Profit Business Leadership Awards 2012||Winner in the banking category|||
|NASSCOM CNBC–TV18 IT Innovation Award||Best IT Driven Innovation in Banking (COMMERCIAL)|||
|The National Quality Excellence Awards||Best Customer Service Result|||
|Brand Trust Report 2013||Most Trusted Finance Brand|||
|FE Best Bank Awards||Best Bank: New Private sector
Best in Strength & Soundness
Mr. Aditya Puri: Best Banker
|Skoch Financial Inclusion Awards 2013||Organization of the Year|||
|Guinness World Record||For The Annual Blood Donation Drive|||
|DSCI Information Technology Award 2012||Security in Bank (2nd time in a row)
Security Leader of the Year (Banking)
|Businessworld Awards for Banking Excellence 2012||Most tech-friendly Bank
Deal of the year (Rupee Bonds)
|HT-Mars Customer satisfaction survey||Winner: Bank and Credit Card customer satisfaction Survey|||
|CSO Forum Information Technology Award 2012||Best Organization for Information Security Practice
(2nd time in a row)
|Economic Times||ET Awards for Corporate Excellence - Company of the Year 2012|||
|CNBC TV18's India Best Banks and Financial Institutions Awards 2012||Best Private Sector Bank|||
|Mint-Aon Hewitt study on India's Best Managed Boards 2012||One of India's six best managed Boards 2012|||
|Forbes Asia||Fab 50 Companies - Winning for the 6th year|||
|IBA Banking Technology Awards 2011||Best Online Bank
Best Use of Business Intelligence
Best Customer Relationship Initiative
Best Risk Management & Security Initiative
Best Use of Mobility Technology in Banking
|Dun & Bradstreet Banking Awards 2012||Overall Best Bank
Best Private Sector Bank
Asset Quality - Private Sector
Retail Banking -Private Sector
|IDRBT Banking Technology Excellence Awards 2011-12||Best Bank in 'IT for Operational Effectiveness' category|||
|Asia Money 2012||Best Domestic Bank in India|||
|India's Top 500 Companies -Dun & Bradstreet Corporate Awards||Best Bank in India|||
|Finance Asia||Best Managed Company
Best CEO - Mr. Aditya Puri
|UTI Mutual Fund CNBC TV 18 Financial Advisor Awards 2011||Best Performing Bank - Private|||
|Asian Banker International Excellence in Retail Financial Services Awards 2012||Best Retail Bank in India
Best Risk Management
|5th Loyalty Summit award||Customer and Brand Loyalty|||
|Brand Trust Report 2012||Most Trusted Finance Brand|||
|Skoch Financial Inclusion Award for 2012||Skoch Foundation Award for the SHG/JLG Linkage Programme|||
|ICAI Awards 2011||Excellence in Financial Reporting|||
Money laundering allegations
On 14 March 2013 an online magazine named Cobrapost.com released video footage from Operation Red Spider showing high-ranking officials and some employees of HDFC bank and two other leading banks, willing to turn black money into white, a violation of Money Laundering Control Act.
Following the release of the footage, the Government of India and RBI ordered an inquiry. The banks under question also conducted investigations of their own. HDFC appointed Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu to conduct a forensic inquiry. The bank also appointed Amarchand & Mangaldas & Suresh A Shroff & Co (AMSS), a law firm based in India, to investigate in association with the internal departmental inquiry, the breaches in the bank’s code of conduct and ethical standards by the officials involved. On March 16, 2013, HDFC released a statement announcing the suspension of over 20 employees involved in the videotape to ensure fair and unbiased investigation process.
The RBI forensic investigation did not reveal any prima facie evidence for the allegations of money laundering. Deputy Governor at RBI, K.C. Chakrabarty, said in an interview that no transactions had taken place. The Executive Director of HDFC, Paresh Sukthankar, also confirmed that their investigations revealed the same on April 24, 2013, “The issue is being reviewed and investigated from multiple quarters. Clearly, all the investigations have shown that there have been no instances of transactions actually taking place. Our belief is that the existing processes seem to have worked in not allowing these transactions to happen.”
However, RBI investigations revealed violations of KYC (Know Your Customer) norms, for which the three banks were imposed penalty, with Rs. 4.5 crores imposed on HDFC.
- "HDFC Bank on the Forbes Asia's Fab 50 Companies List". Forbes. 28 August 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Annual Report 2012-13". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- "2011 HDFC Bank Limited". Yahoo.
- "Annual Report 2012-13". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- "HDFC Shareholders Equity (Quarterly)". YCharts. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- "Business Responsibility Report 2012-13". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- "About us". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "HDFC Bank Market Cap". YCharts. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Credit Suisse Group Market Cap". YCharts. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Promoter - HDFC". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "India's Most Trusted Brands 2014".
- "http://www.relbanks.com/worlds-top-banks/market-cap". Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "NRI Banking". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "SME Banking". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Wholesale". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Businesses". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "HDFC Bank sets up 100 EDCs, debit card base touches 1.3 lakh". Indian Express. 9 May 2000. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "HDFC Bank unveils debit card, to set up 100 ECD terminals". Indian Express. 17 November 1999. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "HDFC Bank's credit card base shrinks". Business Standard. 11 September 2013. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Banks take steps to make credit card payments more safe". The Hindu. 1 March 2013. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "About us - Profile". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "HDFC Bank's profile". NDTV Profit. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "HDB Financial Services Limited - Annual Report for FY 2012-13". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "HDFC Securities Limited - Annual Report for FY 2012-13". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "HDFC Bank Limited". BSEindia.com. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Scripwise Weightages in S&P BSE SENSEX". BSE India. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "HDFC Bank Limited". NSE India. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Download List of CNX Nifty stocks (.csv)". NSE India. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Worried over 20% attrition levels: HDFC Bank". Times of India. 30 June 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "CSR". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "The Outlook MOney Awards 2013". Outlook. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Awards and Achievements". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "IBA Awards for Innovation in Banking 2013". IBA. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Dun & Bradstreet – Polaris Financial Technology Banking Awards 2013". DNB. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Analysts vote HDFC Bank as Best Bank in Asia, Mr Aditya Puri, Best CEO". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "2013 Asia's Fab 50". Forbes. 2 September 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "The Sunday Standard Best Bankers’ Awards 2013 winners list". The Indian Express. 8 September 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "ASIAMONEY Best Domestic Banks Award - India". ASIAMONEY. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "The Maharashtra Chamber of Commerce, Industry & Agriculture Awards". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "HDFC bags best performing bank award". Kashmir Reader. 19 September 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Dun & Bradstreet – Bharathi Cement Corporate Awards 2012". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "HDFC Bank bags NDTV Profit Business Leadership Award". MoneyWorks4me. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Lenovo Presents IT Innovation Awards Powered By NASSCOM And CNBC-TV18". Biztech2.com. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Quality Excellence Award for Best Customer Service Result". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "India's Most Trusted Brands 2013". Trust Research Advisory.
- "FE Best Bank Awards: A toast to the best and the brightest banks". The Indian Express. 20 February 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Skoch Financial Inclusion Awardees 2013". Skoch Group. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- Guinness World Record
- "DSCI Excellence Awards 2012". DSCI. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Annual Report 2012-13". BSE Plus. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "A bright future for Indian Banking". Hindustan Times. 25 December 2012. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "CSO Information Technology Award". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "ET Awards 2012: The winning warriors continue to stamp their brilliance on a recessionary world". The Economic Times. 19 September 2012. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "MCX-SX presents CNBC TV18’s ‘India Best Banks and Financial Institutions Awards 2012’". India Infoline. 18 October 2012. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Why the best managed boards are really the best". Aon. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "HDFC, Kotak Bank in Forbes' Asia Fab 50 list". IBN Live. 7 September 2012. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "IBA Banking Technology Awards 2011". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Dun & Bradstreet releases study on India’s Top Banks 2012". D&B. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "IDRBT Banking Technology Excellence Awards 2011-12". IDRBT. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "HDFC wins best Indian bank award". Kashmir Reader. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "HDFC Bank declared Best Domestic Bank in India by Asiamoney". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Winners of the D&B – Rolta Corporate Awards 2011". D&B. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Dun & Bradstreet – Rolta Corporate Awards". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Asia's best managed companies: India". FinanceAsia. 18 May 2012. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "UTI Mutual Fund CNBC TV 18 Financial Advisory Awards 2011". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "The Asian Banker declares HDFC Bank "Best Retail Bank" In India 6th Year Running". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "2012 Award Winners". Loyalty Summit. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "5th Loyalty Summit award in "Customer and Brand Loyalty" in banking sector category". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "India's Most Trusted Brands 2012". Trust Research Advisory.
- "Skoch Financial Inclusion Awards - 2012". Skoch Group. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Skoch Financial Inclusion Award for 2012". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "ICAI Awards for nn Excellence in Financial Reporting". ICAI. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "ICAI Awards for Excellence in Financial Reporting FY11". HDFC Bank. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Money laundering case: ICICI bank suspends 18 employees". Zee News. 15 March 2013. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Probes Begin as Top Indian Banks Are Embroiled in Sting Operation". Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- Ronamai, Raymond (15 March 2013). "India's Private Banks Under Scanner: Is RBI to be Blamed for Money Laundering?". International Business Times. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "HDFC Bank appoints Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu India to probe money laundering allegations". The Economic Times. 16 March 2013. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- "Money laundering case: HDFC Bank suspends 20 employees pending investigation". The Economic Times. 16 March 2013. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- "Money laundering: HDFC Bank says probe into Cobrapost expose yet to find irregularities". Business Standard. 24 April 2013. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- "Cobrapost allegations: No money laundering involved, says RBI". Profit NDTV. 21 March 2013. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- "RBI penalties sting 3 banks in Cobrapost expose". DNA India. 10 June 2013. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- Official website
- Jobs at HDFC Bank
- HDFC Bank on Facebook
- HDFC Bank at Times of India
- HDFC Bank at Bombay Stock Exchange
- HDFC Bank at National Stock Exchange of India
- Samir Bhatia#cite ref-1