Velocity (TV channel)
|Launched||June 17, 2002
(as Discovery HD Theater)
|Owned by||Discovery Communications|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Headquarters||Silver Spring, Maryland|
|Replaced||Discovery HD Theater
|Sister channel(s)||Discovery Channel
American Heroes Channel
|DirecTV (US)||Channel 281 (HD)|
|Channel 773 (SD) 1005|
|Dish Network Mexico||Channel 950|
|C Band||AMC 11 - Channel 617 (4DTV Digital)|
|Claro TV Digital
|Channel 1302 (as Discovery HD Theater)|
|Verizon FiOS||Channel 631|
|AT&T Uverse||Channel 1104|
Velocity (formerly HD Theater and originally Discovery HD Theater) is an American high-definition, commercial-based, cable and satellite television channel owned by Discovery Communications. The channel specializes in nonfictional programming, focusing on expensive cars, sports related shows, and other programming targeted at men ages 25–54.
As of August 2013, approximately 52,271,000 American households (45.77% of households with television) receive Velocity.
The channel launched nationwide in the United States on June 17, 2002, as Discovery HD Theater. The channel was rebranded to HD Theater on September 22, 2007, because Discovery Communications launched HD simulcasts of some of its other channels including Animal Planet, Discovery Channel, Science and TLC.
Discovery Communications announced Velocity on April 14, 2011, then, on October 4, 2011, HD Theater was taken off the air and Velocity began broadcasting with its focus on programming involving high-end automobiles, sports shows, and other male targeted programming.
- Junkyard Gold
- All Girls Garage
- American Icon: Muscle Car
- Biggest And Baddest
- Cafe Racer
- Car Fix
- Chasing Classic Cars
- Dallas Car Sharks
- Inside West Coast Customs
- Kings of Crash
- All Star Dealers
- American Hot Rod
- Car Crazy
- Desert Car Kings
- Destroyed in Seconds
- Eurosport on Velocity
- Fifth Gear
- Get Out Alive
- Graveyard Carz
- I Could Do That!
- Kidnap & Rescue
- Nature's Deadliest
- Stacey David's GearZ
- Some Assembly Required
- The Detonators
- UFO's Over Earth
- Weird or What?
- Wheeler Dealers
- Wheeler Dealers: Trading Up
- World's Most Expensive Rides
- How It's Made: Dream Cars
A Canadian version of Velocity, known as Discovery Velocity, will launch on February 12, 2015, replacing Discovery World (which, originally, was the Canadian version of the network's original incarnation as Discovery HD Theater).
- Seidman, Robert (August 23, 2013). "List of How Many Homes Each Cable Networks Is In - Cable Network Coverage Estimates As Of August 2013". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved September 7, 2013.
- Sherrard, Kevin (April 16, 2002). "Discovery to Launch HD Theater". HDTV in Oklahoma.
- Gorman, Bill (April 14, 2011). "Discovery Communications Introduces Velocity — A Turbocharged Network For An Upscale Male Audience". TV by the Numbers.
- D.M. Levine (April 18, 2011). "Discovery Launches Velocity Channel, Aimed at Rich Men". Adweek.
- Lawler, Richard (Apr 14, 2011). "Discovery HD Theater is becoming Velocity, focuses on programming for 'upscale male audience'". Engadget.
- Richmond, Ray (July 29, 2011). "TCA: Discovery Sets Launch Date For Velocity, Adds Big Names to ‘Curiosity’, Preps Science Channel’s ‘Trek Nation’, Introduces ‘Weed’ Team". Deadline Hollywood.
- Bibel, Sara (June 27, 2013). "'Dallas Car Sharks' to Premiere Tuesday, July 23 on Velocity". TV by the Number.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 4, 2013). "Velocity Launches Two Original Series Beginning in June". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (September 7, 2012). "Documentary 'Miracle Ball' to Premiere Saturday, September 29 on Velocity". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (July 25, 2013). "'Patrick Dempsey: Racing Le Mans' to Premiere Wednesday, August 28 on Velocity". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 4, 2013). [http:/.com/2013/06/04/velocity-launches-two-original-series-beginning-in-june/185820/ "Velocity Launches Two Original Series Beginning in June"]. TV by the Numbers.
- ""Eurosport on Velocity" Brings the Best of Europe's Largest Sports Television Network to the United States for the First Time Ever". The Futon Critic (Press release). September 16, 2013. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (June 26, 2013). "'Wheeler Dealers: Trading Up' to Premiere July 10 on Velocity". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- "High Stakes Adventure, Precision Machines, Raw Power: Specialty Service Discovery Velocity Launches February 12". Press release. Retrieved 20 January 2015.