HGTV Dream Home
The HGTV Dream Home is the American cable network Home & Garden Television's annual project house and sweepstakes, held since 1997. The sweepstakes commences with a January 1 television special showcasing the fully furnished, custom-built home valued in excess of one million dollars; viewers are invited to enter online. The 2012 contest drew over 81 million entries.
Starting with the 2004 Dream Home in St. Marys, Georgia, public tours have been offered, with some of the ticket proceeds going to local charitable groups. The 2012 proceeds went to the Make-A-Wish Foundation® of Utah.
Most of the Dream Home winners have sold their prizes, largely because of the accompanying tax bills, and as of 2006, only two winners had lived in their houses. 2005 Lake Tyler winner Don Cruz initially planned to keep the house after having his plan to rent out the Dockhouse and Master Bedroom Suite on a nightly basis rejected by the City of Tyler; however, he decided to sell after receiving tax forms showing the house had a higher value than he originally thought.
The current Dream Home for 2014 is located in Schaffer's mill in Truckee, California (about 15 miles north of Lake Tahoe). The house is said to be a modern mountain style home. The prize package includes furnishings and decorations within the home, a new 2014 GMC automoblie, and $250,000 in cash. The house is 3,200 square-feet. The total value of the grand prize is more than $2 million.
Dream Home locations
- 1997 - Jackson Hole, Wyoming
- 1998 - Beaufort, South Carolina
- 1999 - Rosemary Beach, Florida
- 2000 - Nehalem, Oregon
- 2001 - Camden, Maine
- 2002 - Sherwood, Maryland
- 2003 - Mexico Beach, Florida
- 2004 - St. Marys, Georgia
- 2005 - Tyler, Texas
- 2006 - Lake Lure, North Carolina
- 2007 - Winter Park, Colorado
- 2008 - Islamorada, Florida
- 2009 - Sonoma, California
- 2010 - Sandia Park, New Mexico
- 2011 - Stowe, Vermont
- 2012 - Midway, Utah
- 2013 - Kiawah Island, South Carolina
- 2014 - Truckee, California (Current Home)