HMS Blanche (1867)
|Launched:||17 August 1867|
|Fate:||Sold for scrap, September 1886|
|General characteristics (as built)|
|Class & type:||Eclipse-class wooden screw sloop (later corvette)|
|Displacement:||1,760 long tons (1,790 t)|
|Tons burthen:||1,268 bm|
|Length:||212 ft (64.6 m) (p/p)|
|Beam:||36 ft (11.0 m)|
|Draught:||16 ft 6 in (5.0 m)|
|Depth:||21 ft 6 in (6.6 m)|
|Installed power:||2,158 ihp (1,609 kW)|
1 × 2-cylinder steam engine
4 × rectangular boilers
|Sail plan:||Barque rig|
|Speed:||12 knots (22 km/h; 14 mph)|
|Armament:||2 × 7-inch rifled muzzle-loading guns
4 × 6.3-inch 64-pounder rifled muzzle-loading guns
She was sent to the Australia Station in January 1868, arriving in April 1868. She undertook a punitive action against Solomon Island natives in September 1869. During 1870, she joined in the search for the schooner Daphne, which was unsuccessful. Under the command of Captain Cortland Simpson, she undertook a survey of Rabaul's Harbour in 1872. Blanche Bay is named after HMS Blanche. She finished service on the Australia Station in 1875. While sailing to England she was almost lost rounding Cape Horn in bad weather.
After being refitted and rearmed, she was sent to the North America and West Indies Station, where she remained until 1881. She was placed in reserve and in 1886 was sold to Castle for £3600 and was broken up.
- Bastock, p. 50
- Rottman, p. 172
- "HMS Blanche". Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- Ballard, G. A. (1938). "British Sloops of 1875: The Smaller Ram-Bowed Type". Mariner's Mirror (Cambridge, UK: Society for Nautical Research) 24 (April): 160–75.
- Bastock, John (1988), Ships on the Australia Station, Child & Associates Publishing; Frenchs Forest, Australia. ISBN 0-86777-348-0
- Chesneau, Roger; Kolesnik, Eugene M., eds. (1979). Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1860-1905. Greenwich, UK: Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-8317-0302-4.
- Rottman, Gordon L. (2001), World War II Pacific Island Guide: A Geo-Military Study, Greenwood Press; Santa Barbara, CA. ISBN 0-313-31395-4
- Winfield, Rif; Lyon, David (2004). The Sail and Steam Navy List: All the Ships of the Royal Navy 1815–1889. London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-032-6. OCLC 52620555.
|This article about a specific naval ship or boat of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|