HMS Constance (1915)
HMS Constance departing Devonport in March 1919.
|Class and type:||C-class light cruiser|
|Laid down:||25 January 1915|
|Launched:||12 September 1915|
|Fate:||Sold 8 June 1936 for scrapping|
|Tons burthen:||3,750 tons|
|Length:||446 ft (136 m)|
|Beam:||41.5 ft (12.6 m)|
|Draught:||15 ft (4.6 m)|
|Propulsion:||Two Parsons turbines
Eight Yarrow boilers
|Speed:||28.5 knots (53 km/h)|
|Range:||carried 420 tons (841 tons maximum) of fuel oil|
|Armament:||4 × 6 inch guns
1 × 4 inch gun
2 × 3 inch guns
2 × 2 pounder (907g) guns
4 × 21-inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes
|Armour:||3 inch side (amidships)
2¼-1½ inch side (bows)
2½ - 2 inch side (stern)
1 inch upper decks (amidships)
1 inch deck over rudder
World War I
Commissioned into service in the Royal Navy in January 1916, Constance was assigned to the 4th Light Cruiser Squadron of the Grand Fleet from her commissioning until 1919, taking part in the Battle of Jutland on 31 May-1 June 1916.
After the conclusion of World War I, Constance was assigned to the 8th Light Cruiser Squadron on the North American and West Indies Station from 1919 to 1926, recommissioning at Devonport in January 1923 to continue this service. From September 1926 to December 1927, she underwent a refit at Chatham Dockyard, becoming the flagship of the Portsmouth Reserve upon its completion. She was assigned to the 5th Cruiser Squadron on the China Station from 1928 to November 1930.
- Gardiner, Robert, ed., Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships, 1906-1921, Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press, 1985, ISBN 0-87021-907-3, OCLC 423834653, LCCN 84-42782, p. 59, (preview of 2006 reprint).
- Collegde, J. J., Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of All Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy From the Fifteenth Century to the Present, Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press, 1987, ISBN 0-87021-652-X, p. 89.
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-281-8. OCLC 67375475.
- Jane's Fighting Ships of World War One (1919), Jane's Publishing Company
- Ships of the Cambrian class