HMS Crescent (1892)
|Laid down:||13 October 1890|
|Launched:||30 March 1892|
|Fate:||Sold for breaking up 22 September 1921|
|Length:||387.5 ft (118.1 m)|
|Beam:||60.75 ft (18.52 m)|
|Armament:||1 x BL 9.2-inch (233.7 mm) Mk VI gun
12 x QF 6 inch guns
12 x 6 pdr guns
HMS Crescent was a first class cruiser of the Edgar class. Crescent, and her sister ship Royal Arthur, were built to a slightly modified design and are sometimes considered a separate class. She was built at Portsmouth and launched on 30 March 1892. As at 11 January 1895 she was leaving Australia under Captain Arbuthnot.
She served in the First World War, and was sold on 22 September 1921 for breaking up in Germany.
List of Captains
- Captain Charles John Graves-Sawle - until March 1900
- Captain the Hon. Stanley C. J. Colville - March 1900-1902
- Captain Phillip Streatfield, RN - 1911
- "Naval and Military intelligence" The Times (London). Thursday, 21 February 1901. (36384), p. 10.
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-281-8. OCLC 67375475.
- Roger Chesneau and Eugene M. Kolesnik, ed., Conway's All The Worlds Fighting Ships, 1860-1905, (Conway Maritime Press, London, 1979), ISBN 0-85177-133-5
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to HMS Crescent (ship, 1892).|