HMS Victorious (S29)
Victorious near Faslane, Scotland in April 2013.
|Laid down:||3 December 1987|
|Launched:||29 September 1993|
|Commissioned:||7 January 1995|
|Fate:||in active service, as of 2013[update]|
|General characteristics |
|Class & type:||Vanguard-class submarine|
|Displacement:||Dived: 15,900 long tons (16,200 t)|
|Length:||149.9 m (491 ft 10 in)|
|Beam:||12.8 m (42 ft 0 in)|
|Draught:||12 m (39 ft 4 in)|
|Speed:||Dived: 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph)|
|Range:||Unlimited distance; 20-25 years|
She has two crews, "Port" and "Starboard".
Victorious was involved in a minor collision with a United States Coast Guard ship in July 2001. The Coast Guard ship became tangled in the fibre optic cables of the submarine's sonar system which disabled its turbines. Victorious was not damaged in the incident.
She became the second of the class to refit, during which time she was fitted with a 'Core H' reactor core ensuring that the boat will not need to refuel again until the end of its service life. In 2008, she underwent sea trials before resuming patrols in 2009.
In 2013, Victorious became the first UK SSBN to complete the 100th deterrent patrol.
- Displacement: 16,000 tons submerged
- Propulsion: Rolls-Royce PWR2 reactor, two GEC turbines, single shaft, pump jet propulsor
- Electrical Power: two Paxman diesel generators, two WH Allen turbogenerators
- Speed: 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph) submerged
- Complement: 21 officers, 146 men
- Strategic Armament: 16 Lockheed Trident II D5 ballistic missiles
- Defensive Armament: four 533 mm (21-inch) torpedo tubes, Spearfish torpedoes
Notes and references
- Jane's Fighting Ships, 2004-2005. Jane's Information Group Limited. p. 794. ISBN 0-7106-2623-1.
- Royal Navy bridge card, 11 February 2011