HMS Vigilant (S30)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008)|
HMS Vigilant (S30)
|Laid down:||16 February 1991|
|Launched:||14 October 1995|
|Commissioned:||2 November 1996|
|Status:||Trials after refit|
|General characteristics |
|Class & type:||Vanguard-class submarine|
|Displacement:||Dived: 15,900 long tons (16,200 t)|
|Length:||149.9 m (491 ft 10 in)|
|Beam:||12.8 m (42 ft 0 in)|
|Draught:||12 m (39 ft 4 in)|
|Speed:||Dived: 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph)|
|Range:||Unlimited distance; 20-25 years|
Peter Hennessy reporting for the Today programme on BBC Radio 4, reported from Vigilant on 28 December 2007. He reported that there is a grey safe in the control room that has an inner safe that only the commanding officer and executive officer can open. In that safe is a letter from the current Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, the letter of last resort, which contains guidance and orders to be followed should the United Kingdom be attacked with nuclear weapons.
The French Navy also have a SSBN in service called Vigilant.
In 2002, protestors from Trident Ploughshares breached security at Faslane Naval Base where the Vanguard-class submarines are based. Two protestors managed to spray paint Vigilant with the CND symbol and the word "Vile".
Vigilant arrived at Devonport on 11 October 2008 for a major refit. Vigilant returned to the fleet on 27 March 2012 after her £300m refit. In 2013, she test fired her main weapon, a firing of the Trident D5 after three years.
- Displacement: 16,000 tons submerged
- Propulsion: Rolls-Royce PWR2 reactor, two GEC turbines, single shaft, pump jet propulsor
- Electrical Power: two Paxman diesel generators, two WH Allen turbogenerators
- Speed: 25 knots (46 km/h) submerged
- Complement: 14 officers, 121 men
- Strategic Armament: 16 Lockheed Trident II D5 ballistic missiles
- Defensive Armament: four 533 mm (21-inch) torpedo tubes, Spearfish torpedoes
- Jane's Fighting Ships, 2004-2005. Jane's Information Group Limited. p. 794. ISBN 0-7106-2623-1.
- "HMS Vigilant Arrives In Devonport for Major Refit". RN. 2008-10-13. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
- "HMS Vigilant SSBN in for GBP 300 million refit". Defense Industry Daily.com. 2009-03-04. Retrieved 2009-04-01.
- "HMS Vigilant: Torpoint Ferry suspended for submarine departure". BBC.co.uk. 2012-03-27. Retrieved 2012-03-27.