HM Prison La Moye
|Location||Vingtaine de la Moye, Jersey, Channel Islands|
|Security class||Medium Security|
|Capacity||268 (Dec. 2009)|
|Population||178 (Avg. 2010)|
|Managed by||Jersey Prison Service|
HM Prison La Moye is a mixed-use prison in the island of Jersey. La Moye is currently Jersey's only prison, and is situated within the boundaries of the Vingtaine de la Moye. It is operated by the Jersey Prison Service, part of the Department of Home Affairs.
The prison was opened in the mid-1970s and originally built to house 150 inmates. Because La Moye is the island's only jail, it has to provide accommodation for men, women, young offenders and vulnerable prisoners. Consequently there are four distinctive areas of the prison which have been set aside for each category of inmate.
The prison has an active education programme and all prisoners are encouraged to participate. Prisoners are usually assessed to determine their level of education within a short time of arriving at La Moye. Inmates can study both academic and vocational qualifications. La Moye also has a library which was opened in November 2007.
In July 2005 a report from HM Inspector of Prisons stated the prison had 172 inmates, with capacity for 184. This led to concerns about possible overcrowding at the prison. In November 2007, Jersey's Home Affairs Minister Wendy Kinnard expressed fears that Jersey had a higher pro rata prison population when compared to other European countries of a similar size. She called for alternative punishments to be introduced to ease pressure on the prison.
Inmates of La Moye Prison have included;
- John Hervey, 7th Marquess of Bristol, British aristocrat and businessman
- Curtis Warren, English gangster, subsequently transferred to HMP Belmarsh
- "HM Prison La Moye Annual Report 2010". States of Jersey Prison Service. 2010. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- "HMP LA MOYE Prison Regime Info". Inside Information. Retrieved 16 October 2010.
- "Prison Library". States of Jersey. Retrieved 16 October 2010.
- "Prison numbers concern minister". BBC News. 18 November 2007. Retrieved 7 October 2009.
- "Gangster 'addicted to drug dealing'". BBC News. 7 October 2009. Retrieved 7 October 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Prisons in Jersey.|
- Jersey Prison Service
- Prison Me No Way information on La Moye Prison's Young Offenders Unit
- HMI Report 2006
|This article about a United Kingdom prison is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about the Bailiwick of Jersey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|