|Developer(s)||Hewlett-Packard, HP Software Division|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows and Linux (Load Generator only)|
|Available in||11 languages|
|Type||Load testing tools|
|Website||HP LoadRunner software|
HP LoadRunner is an automated performance and test automation product from Hewlett-Packard for application load testing: examining system behaviour and performance, while generating actual load. HP acquired LoadRunner as part of its acquisition of Mercury Interactive in November 2006.
A software testing tool, HP LoadRunner works by creating virtual users who take the place of real users' operating client software, such as Internet Explorer, sending requests using the HTTP protocol to IIS or Apache web servers. HP LoadRunner can simulate thousands of concurrent users to put the application through the rigors of real-life user loads, while collecting information from key infrastructure components (Web servers, database servers etc.) The results can then be analyzed in detail to explore the reasons for particular behavior.
HP LoadRunner supports various protocol bundles for load testing: .NET Record/Replay, Database, DCOM, GUI Virtual Users, Java Record/Replay, Network, Oracle E-Business, Remote Access, Remote Desktop, Rich Internet Applications, SAP, SOA, Web 2.0, Web and Multimedia and Wireless.
- LoadRunner 6.5 was released on June, 2000.
- LoadRunner 7.8 was released on September, 2003.
- LoadRunner 8.0 was released on August, 2004.
- LoadRunner 9.0 was released on June, 2007.
- LoadRunner 9.10 was released on February, 2008.
- LoadRunner 9.50 was released on July 6, 2009.
- LoadRunner 12.0 was released on March 18, 2014.
HP LoadRunner by default installs 3 icons on the Windows desktop:
- VuGen (Virtual User Generator) for editing scripts and
- Controller for composing scenarios which specify which load generators are used for which script, and for how long, etc. During runs the Controller receives real-time monitoring data and displays status.
- Analysis which assembles logs from various load generators and formats reports for visualization of run result data and monitoring data.
HP LoadRunner client emulation scripts are usually created using the ANSI-C programming. However, Java and .Net programs can also be run by HP LoadRunner.