|Developer(s)||Hewlett-Packard, HP Software Division|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows and Linux (Load Generator only)|
|Available in||11 languages|
|Type||Load testing tools|
|Website||HP LoadRunner software|
HP LoadRunner is an automated performance and test automation product from Hewlett-Packard for application load testing: examining system behaviour and performance, while generating actual load. HP acquired LoadRunner as part of its acquisition of Mercury Interactive in November 2006.
A software testing tool, HP LoadRunner works by creating virtual users who take the place of real users' operating client software, such as Internet Explorer, sending requests using the HTTP protocol to IIS or Apache web servers. HP LoadRunner can simulate thousands of concurrent users to put the application through the rigors of real-life user loads, while collecting information from key infrastructure components (Web servers, database servers, etc.) The results can then be analyzed in detail to explore the reasons for particular behavior.
HP LoadRunner supports various protocol bundles for load testing: .NET Record/Replay, Database, DCOM, GUI Virtual Users, Java Record/Replay, Network, Oracle E-Business, Remote Access, Remote Desktop, Rich Internet Applications, SAP, SOA, Web 2.0, Web and Multimedia and Wireless.
HP LoadRunner can be run standalone (the classical way to run it, with a controller and several load generators as the main components) geared towards one or two persons using each controller or as part of HP PerformanceCenter (which pools together several controllers, all load generators, adding a web site, schedulers and more to facilitate sharing of the LoadRunner resources among many users.
|Version||Service Pack||Release date||Notes|
|6.5||N/A||June 2000||Added "TurboLoad" technology.|
|7.8||Feature Pack 1||September 2003||Added support for Windows XP.|
|8.0||N/A||August 2004||Added "Additional Attributes" to Runtime Settings.|
|9.51||N/A||July 6, 2009|
|9.52||N/A||June 14, 2010|
|11.0||Patch 1||January 6, 2011|
|11.0||Patch 2||February 22, 2011||Added support for Visual Studio 2010 and Protocol Updates to Ajax TruClient, Citrix, Flex, Web.|
|11.0||Patch 3||June 20, 2011||Added support for IE9, Mobile protocols, GraniteDS.|
|11.0||Patch 4||November 2011||HP SV (Service Virtualization Integration) with Controller, GWT-DFE(Google Web Toolkit- Data Format Extension), RTMP Tunneled, Messaging support, Streaming support, Flex Correlations.|
|11.50||N/A||November 2011||Added New VuGen IDE, Ajax TruClient for IE, Web Protocol Asynchronous Support, Flex, Mobile, .NET, Web Services, 64-bit applications recording, IPv6 support.|
|11.50||Patch 1||July 20, 2012||Added Ajax TruClient IE protocol.|
|12.00||N/A||March 18, 2014||Added ability to instantiate instances on Amazon EC2 directly from LoadRunner UI.|
HP LoadRunner in the Cloud
In May 2010, HP announced that an on-demand version of the application performance testing software would be available via Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud. HP LoadRunner in the Cloud is first being offered as beta software in the U.S. and is available with pay-as-you-go pricing. The software is intended for performance testing for businesses of any size. HP LoadRunner in the Cloud is part of a portfolio of cloud computing solutions offered by HP Software Division.
HP LoadRunner by default installs 3 icons on the Windows desktop:
- VuGen (Virtual User Generator) for generating and editing scripts.
- Controller for composing scenarios which specify which load generators are used for which script, and for how long, etc. During runs the Controller receives real-time monitoring data and displays status.
- Analysis which assembles logs from various load generators and formats reports for visualization of run result data and monitoring data.
- Agent process establish connection between controller and load generator.
- Load generator generates the load against the application.
HP LoadRunner client emulation scripts are usually created using the ANSI-C programming. However, Java and .Net programs can also be run by HP LoadRunner.
- “HP Closes Landmark Mercury Acquisition” news release.
- Cnet.com “HP LoadRunner 9.5.” Retrieved 2010-03-05.
- CTO Edge: “HP Puts LoadRunner on Amazon Cloud.” May 2010.
- HP.com news release: "HP ten.to.one Initiative Fuels Growth, Reduces Complexity." May 2010
- IDG News Service: Infoworld.com. “HP to launch enterprise cloud service.” Jackson. January 201