|Manufacturer||High Tech Computer Corporation|
|Compatible networks||Quad band GSM 850 900 1800 1900, GPRS, EDGE
Tri band UMTS 850, 1900, 2100, HSDPA
|Availability by country||June 2006|
|Successor||HTC TyTN II|
|Dimensions||112.5 mm (4.43 in) (h) 58 mm (2.3 in) (w) 21.95 mm (0.864 in) (d)|
|Weight||176 g (6.2 oz)|
|Operating system||Windows Mobile 6.0 Professional, Android (third party)|
|CPU||Samsung SC32442A ARM Processor at 400 MHz
GPU: ATI Imageon 2282
|Memory||64 MB RAM
128 MB ROM
|Removable storage||WM5 microSD
WM6 microSD & microSDHC
|Battery||1300 or 1350 mAH Lithium-ion polymer battery, user accessible|
|Data inputs||QWERTY Keyboard, Touchscreen|
|Display||240×320 px, 2.8 in (71 mm), 65536 color LCD, 3:4 aspect ratio|
|Rear camera||1.9 megapixel rear|
The HTC TyTN (also known as the HTC Hermes and the HTC P4500) is an Internet-enabled Windows Mobile Pocket PC smartphone designed and marketed by High Tech Computer Corporation of Taiwan. It has a touchscreen with a left-side slide-out QWERTY keyboard. The TyTN's functions include those of a camera phone and a portable media player in addition to text messaging and multimedia messaging. It also offers Internet services including e-mail (including Microsoft's DirectPush push e-mail solution, as well as BlackBerry services with applications provided by BlackBerry-partnered carriers), instant messaging, web browsing, and local Wi-Fi connectivity. It is a quad-band GSM phone with GPRS, and EDGE, and a single/dual band UMTS phone with HSDPA. It is a part of the first line of phones directly marketed and sold by HTC. On AT&T/Cingular, the TyTN was the successor to the HTC Wizard, known as the Cingular 8125. Also on AT&T, the TyTN was superseded by the HTC TyTN II, known as the AT&T 8925 and the AT&T Tilt.
Besides the branding differences, there are several models of the HTC TyTN: the TyTN 100, the TyTN 200, and the TyTN 300. The TyTN 100 has no front-facing camera or a 1-megapixel front-facing camera; the TyTN 200 has a 1-megapixel front-facing camera; and the TyTN 300 has a 3-megapixel front-facing camera.
The TyTN Model was sold as:
- HTC TyTN 100
- HTC TyTN 200
- HTC TyTN 300
- T-Mobile MDA Vario II
The TyTN shipped with Windows Mobile 5 AKU 2.3. HTC released AKU3 ROMs to carriers, though it was up to the carriers to provide updates to end users. In July 2007, HTC released a generic update to Windows Mobile 6, freely available to the public. In November 2007, AT&T released an update to Windows Mobile 6.
Official ROM updates are or were available for several versions of the TyTN, including the AT&T/Cingular 8525, the Dopod 838Pro, the i-mate JASJAM, the O2 XDA Trion, and the Orange SPV M3100 (AKU 3.3.0). Some of these updates update the TyTN to Windows Mobile 5 AKU 3.n.n, others update it to Windows Mobile 6.
- Screen size: 2.88 in (73 mm)
- Screen resolution: 240×320 pixels at 139 ppi, 4:3 aspect ratio, flips into 320x240 landscape mode when keyboard is slid out.
- Screen colors: 65536 (16-bit) colors
- Input devices: Touchscreen interface, slide-out QWERTY keyboard, and jog wheel
- Battery: 1300 or 1350 mAh, user-accessible
- Battery has up to 5–6 hours of talk on 3G network and up to 250 hours of standby.
- 1.9 megapixel camera with fixed focus lens, LED flash, self-portrait mirror, and macro mode
- Location finding by detection of cell towers and Wi-Fi networks (through Google Maps Mobile)
- Samsung SC32442A (400 MHz ARM ARM920T processor)
- ATI Imageon Graphics Processing Unit
- RAM: 64 MB DRAM
- ROM: 128 MB flash memory
- Removable Media: microSD, up to 8GB (microSDHC, up to 32 GB if running Windows Mobile 6)
- Operating System: Windows Mobile 5.0 stock ROM with Windows Mobile 6 available to upgrade through HTC e-Club. Unofficial cooked roms for Windows Mobile 6.5 available.
- Quad band GSM / GPRS / EDGE (GSM 850, GSM 900, GSM 1800, GSM 1900)
- Tri band HSDPA (UMTS 850, UMTS 1900, UMTS 2100) A UMTS 800 band option appears on some updated phones, but has not been confirmed to work.
- Wi-Fi (802.11b/g)
- Bluetooth 2.0
- Mini USB combo jack for data transfer, charging, and multi-purpose headset.
- Stereo headphone jack (certain models only?)
- Size: 112.5 mm (4.43 in) (h) 58 mm (2.3 in) (w) 21.95 mm (0.864 in) (d)
- Weight: 176 g (6.2 oz)
(Varies by operator)
AT&T 8525 and Cingular 8525
- AOL Instant Messenger
- ClearVUE PDF
- Excel Mobile
- Good Mobile Messaging
- Pocket MSN
- PowerPoint Mobile
- Smart dialing
- Windows Live Instant Messenger
- Word Mobile
- Xpress Mail
- Yahoo! Instant Messenger
Early models of the TyTN (HT624xxx - HT632xxx) have been known to suffer from screen alignment problems and should be avoided.
- "Touch Phone, PDA Phone, Smartphone, Mobile Computer: Products - AT&T 8525: Overview". HTC. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "Phone and Device Support | Learn how to set up and use your cell phone | AT&T, formerly Cingular". Wireless.att.com. 2011-02-14. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States)". Microsoft.com. Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- 8525 | AT&T wireless services[dead link]
- "Dopod International Corp". Dopodasia.com. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- Unlocked PDA Cell Phones | i-mate[dead link]
- "NTT DoCoMo to Start Sales of HTC Handset with Windows Mobile". NTT DoCoMo (Press release). 2006-07-12. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "Ntt Docomo Home". Nttdocomo.com. Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- "Xda Trion". My-xda.com. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "Orange Business Services | SPV M3100 3G smartphone with Microsoft Office". Business.orange.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- 多普達國際股份有限公司. Dopodasia.com (in Chinese). 4 Jan 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "X01HT". mb.softbank.jp. September 29, 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "Swisscom Residential Customers - Software and instructions". Swisscom-mobile.ch. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "Vodafone v1605 - Business Mobile Phone". Vodafone Business Shop. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "HTC TyTN Now Shipping". Mobilitytoday.com. Retrieved 2012-03-14.[verification needed]
- HTC TyTN ( HTC Hermes ) will get ROM upgrade with AKU3[dead link]
- Motorola il iDEN (2007-08-06). "HTC Europe releases official Windows Mobile 6.0 Professional upgrade for HTC TyTn". Intomobile.com. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "HTC e-Club Sign-up page". Member.htc.com. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- HTC: Support: AT&T 8525 Software Downloads[dead link]
- "Touch Phone, PDA Phone, Smartphone, Mobile Computer". HTC. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "HTC: Support: AT&T 8525 Software Downloads". Htcamerica.net. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:23 PM. (2006-08-22). "Dopod 838 Pro and i-Mate JasJam rom update available 22-8-06 - xda-developers". Forum.xda-developers.com. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "NEW ROM for Dopod 838Pro ver1.30.707.4 - Australian Market - xda-developers". Forum.xda-developers.com. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- Unlocked PDA Cell Phones | i-mate[dead link]
- "O2 - Xda - Software updates". My-xda.com. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "Orange Business Services | SPV M3100 latest software upgrade". Business.orange.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- Up to 32 Gb according to HTC Wiki page
- "Hermes GPS Development - xda-developers". Forum.xda-developers.com. 2007-01-23. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "XDADeveloperWiki - Hermes_Problems". Wiki.xda-developers.com. 2011-08-22. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- HTC TyTN Forum
- HowardForums HTC Forum
- HowardForums Windows Mobile Professional Forum
- HTCGeeks Forum
- PDAPhoneHome HTC TyTN Forum
- PPCGeeks HTC TyTN Forum
- XDA-Developers HTC TyTN Forum
- XDA-Developers HTC TyTN Wiki
- The Hermes Guide, a website dedicated through guiding users through upgrading safely
- Custom built WM6.1 ROM for HTC TyTN and compatible devices