H to He, Who Am the Only One
|H to He, Who Am the Only One|
|Studio album by Van der Graaf Generator|
Trident Studios, London, England
|Label|| Charisma Records
|Van der Graaf Generator chronology|
During the recording of the album, bassist Nic Potter quit the band. Organist Hugh Banton offered to play bass guitar on the two tracks that had not yet been finished. In concert, Banton would play bass pedals to substitute for the lack of a bassist à la Ray Manzarek, but he would continue to record bass guitar parts on subsequent albums. H to He, Who Am the Only One also featured Robert Fripp of King Crimson playing lead guitar on one track, "The Emperor In His War Room". Fripp would collaborate again with Van der Graaf Generator on their next album, Pawn Hearts.
The mid-priced "Charisma Classics" re-issue from the early 1980s had a blue cover. The first U.S. issue of the album was on the Dunhill Records division of ABC Records. It featured a revised cover with a white background instead of purple. A re-mastered version of this album added bonus tracks and was released in 2005. One of the additions is a rough studio version of "Squid / Octopus", a song that had been a staple of early Van der Graaf Generator concerts.
All songs written by Peter Hammill except as noted.
- "Killer" (Peter Hammill, Chris Judge Smith, Hugh Banton) – 8:24
- "House With No Door" – 6:37
- "The Emperor In His War Room" – 8:15, including:
- "The Emperor"
- "The Room"
- "Lost" – 11:17, including:
- "The Dance in Sand and Sea"
- "The Dance in the Frost"
- "Pioneers Over c." (Peter Hammill, David Jackson) – 12:42
Bonus tracks on 2005 reissue
- "Squid 1" / "Squid 2" / "Octopus" – 15:24 (bonus track on 2005 reissue)
- Recorded during the sessions for Pawn Hearts.
- "The Emperor in His War Room" (first version) – 8:50 (bonus track on 2005 reissue)
Mike DeGagne of Allmusic gave the album 4 out of 5, noting that "On H to He Who Am the Only One, the brooding tones of synthesizer and oscillator along with Peter Hammil's distinct and overly ominous voice make it one of this British band's best efforts."
- Peter Hammill – lead vocals, acoustic guitar, and piano on "House With No Door"
- Hugh Banton – Hammond and Farfisa organs, piano, oscillator, vocals; bass guitar on "House With No Door" and "Pioneers Over c."
- Guy Evans – drums, tympani, percussion
- David Jackson – alto, tenor, and baritone saxophone, flute, and vocals
- Nic Potter – bass guitar on "Killer", "The Emperor In His War Room", "Lost", and "The Emperor In His War Room" (first version)
- Additional personnel
- Robert Fripp – guitar on "The Emperor In His War Room"
- DeGagne, Mike (2011). "H to He, Who Am the Only One - Van der Graaf Generator | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- Christopulos, J., and Smart, P.: "Van der Graaf Generator - The Book", page 87. Phil and Jim publishers, 2005.