HaNoar HaOved VeHaLomed
Histadrut HaNoar HaOved VeHaLomed (Hebrew: הִסְתַּדְּרוּת הַנוֹעַר הַעוֹבֵד וְהַלוֹמֵד, lit. The Federation of Working and Studying Youth), sometimes abbreiviated to No'al (נוֹעַ"ל) is an Israeli youth movement, a sister movement of Habonim Dror, the Labor Zionist movement.
Along with Hashomer Hatzair of Israel, Histadrut HaNoar HaOved VeHaLomed are member of the International Falcon Movement – Socialist Education International.
The movement was founded in 1924 by youth working to defend their rights. The first name of the movement was "Hanoar HaOved" ("The Working Youth") and it was connected to the Histadrut. in 1959 it was connected with "HaTnua HaMeu'he'det" ("The United Movement") and the name was changed to HaNoar HaOved VeHaLomed.
In the 1990s, along with the decline of the kibbutz movement, HaNoar HaOved VeHalomed began re-examining the ideal life path of its members, which had always began settling kibbutzim in gar'inim after finishing their mandatory period of army service. Instead, a model started to be put forward in which bogrim ("graduates") of the movement formed small urban communes working in society, particularly in education. Today, there are about 1,000 members of HaNoar HaOved VeHalomed's Tnuat Bogrim ("Movement of Graduates") living in small communes in cities or kibbutzim and working in Israeli Society – mostly in education and the youth movement. The youth movement and the Tnuat Bogrim are called "Dror-Israel" movement, which is named after the historical "Dror" movement in Europe.
Goals of membership
The movement aims that each member aspires to the following goals:
- A movement graduate who sees the human being and his happiness as the central foundation of his creation and lives by this belief.
- A movement graduate who stands for democratic and socialist principles.
- A movement graduate who sees in the Jewish tradition a source of inspiration and influence, not a source of authority.
- A movement graduate whose own responsibility and criticism are the foundations of his life conception and life-style's consolidation.
- A movement graduate who bases his material and cultural existence on his own creation.
- A movement graduate who is involved and active in social changing processes led by his beliefs and concepts.
- A movement graduate whose ambition is to live in the state of Israel and takes part in its defense and building.
- A movement graduate whose ambition is to live in a Kibbutz or in any other socialist and cooperative way of living.
HaNoar HaOved VeHalomed consists different branches. Each branch has unique activities but all share the same virtues and ideology. The branches are being referred to as nests, or "KINIM" in Hebrew.
- HaKen HaIroni (the urban nest) – Its activities are being held in many cities and towns in Israel, from Rosh Hanikra to the north, to Mitzpe Ramon in the south.
- Bney Hamoshavim Unit – The unit used to be active only in Moshavim but today its activities are being held in Kibbutzim and other forms of settlement. The unit works in many regional councils, from Golan to the north to Arava Tihona to the south. the unit was founded by the Moshavim Movement, to provide activities for the kids. In 1935 it became a part of HaNoar HaOved VeHalomed. Bney HaMoshavim is different from other youth movements in israel in their definition of a member- every kid that lives in the settlement, where the unit works, is consider to be a member, and the unit struggles to bring all the kids to their activities. in accordance with that principle, Bney HaMoshavim does not collect money from its members, but takes its budget from the youth budget of the regional council and the Settlement committee.
- Haken Hakibbutzi – Works in Kibbutzim along Israel, and works together with the Kibbutzs Institutions.
- Haken Haaravi (The Arab Nest)- Works in Arab Settlements in Israel, including east Jerusalem, where there is a very large club of the movement.
- HaKen HaDruzi (The Druze Nest) – Works in all the Druze Settlements in Israel.
- from the Moshavim Youth committee, 1935: "א. הועידה קובעת שהנוער במושבים צריך לפעול במסגרת הסתדרות הנוער העובד. ב. מרכז הסתדרות הנוער העובד נדרש להתאים את כוונו ותוכנית פעולתו התיישבותנו ומשאלת הנוער בו. ג. נבחרת ועדה מיוחדת לנוער, שתפעל יחד עם ועד הנוער במושבים והסתדרות הנוער העובד. ד. על ועד המושבים להוציא מספר אנשים לפעולה בתוך הנוער העובד..."
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to HaNoar HaOved VeHaLomed.|